What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vertical Power VP-50 failure/issue

ginge

After about 13 years or trouble free service, my Vertical Power VP-50 has stopped working. When I power up, the display goes through its usual boot up, then just after "Communicating.." it says:
"Chk Cable/CU ID" on the LCD display.

I thought it would be a loose connector between the switch panel and the control box, but no such luck. After a lot of fiddling about and contact cleaner, I removed it from my RV-7A and put it on the bench. Same issue.

The 15-pin cable between the two (pre-manufactured with moulded ends) appears OK and wiggling and rebooting doesn't help.
I think my next task is to look for dry joints inside either box, and to buzz out the cable. I assume it is straight through, but I don't know that.

Of course there is a microcontroller at either end that could be having an issue (software or hardware).

Vertical Power couldn't help of course, because this is from the old "Vertical Power". Oddly, they didn't even suggest upgrading to a VP-X.

1. Anyone seen this message and have any ideas?
2. Anyone have any hardware info outside of what is in the manual (I suspect only Marc Ausman does).
3. Anyone have an old or broken VP-50?

Other than that, I suppose my options are go "manual" (switch/fuse/breaker), VP-X or Advanced ACM.

For now, I'm AOG, but at least in my home hangar :(

Thanks,
..lance

After about 13 years or trouble free service, my Vertical Power VP-50 has stopped working. When I power up, the display goes through its usual boot up, then just after "Communicating.." it says:

I thought it would be a loose connector between the switch panel and the control box, but no such luck. After a lot of fiddling about and contact cleaner, I removed it from my RV-7A and put it on the bench. Same issue.

The 15-pin cable between the two (pre-manufactured with moulded ends) appears OK and wiggling and rebooting doesn't help.
I think my next task is to look for dry joints inside either box, and to buzz out the cable. I assume it is straight through, but I don't know that.

Of course there is a microcontroller at either end that could be having an issue (software or hardware).

Vertical Power couldn't help of course, because this is from the old "Vertical Power". Oddly, they didn't even suggest upgrading to a VP-X.

2. Anyone have any hardware info outside of what is in the manual (I suspect only Marc Ausman does).

Other than that, I suppose my options are go "manual" (switch/fuse/breaker), VP-X or Advanced ACM.

Thanks,
..lance
I hate to say it but this is why I believe this is 'putting all your eggs in one basket' and I stayed clear of it.

Thanks,
..lance
I used a VP-100 earlier in my RV-6A build but made a jump (sideways) when Vertical Power bought it (Marc/Mark Ausman? founder. Chad Jensen is the rep ... still find him here somewhere. Long story short ... sold my VP-100 to someone in FL, who was flying a VP-100 so he could have a backup. Then I bought the VPX-Sport, and still flying AND HAPPY almost 10 yrs later. Advanced Flight Systems (AFS/Dynon) has the ACM product, which may also be an option. They are used in Vashon Ranger SLSA, and RV-12iS (if I remember correctly). Anyway ... research that.

The biggest difficulty I had going from VP-100 to VPX-Sport was the issue of wiring that I'd labeled ... long before "harness" plug and play became the 'thing' ... TinkerToys and Lincoln Logs ... yes, I remember them. Anyway, I digress.
I had labels for J2-Pin 17, for example, and it was now J-12 Pin 4, and my documentation suffered. I'm considering a future ... where all my systems are removed, harnesses added, and have it all flying in 30-days. ... delusional, yes.
Good luck!

Thanks,
..lance
We are pulling a VP-50 from our Rv-4 and rewiring but it’s probably going to be several months before it becomes available. A VP-X upgrade sounds like a doable option.

@rvator51 That's too bad on the timing! What are you going to put in?

I'm leaning toward standard switches/fuses/breakers at this point. I can just make a harness to plug into the Molex MX-150 that went into the VP-50. I no longer used it for trim etc anyway.

@rvator51 That's too bad on the timing! What are you going to put in?

I'm leaning toward standard switches/fuses/breakers at this point. I can just make a harness to plug into the Molex MX-150 that went into the VP-50. I no longer used it for trim etc anyway.
Yes, same for me, standard switches and mini breakers on side panel.

For anyone visiting this topic in future...
If you want to wire to a Molex MX-150 plug to connect where your VP-50 control unit was when you removed it (J1), you'll need the following parts:

18 pin connector housing. Part no. 0194190020

Pins (blades). Part no. 0194170024
18-22ga

14-16ga. Part no. 0194170011

Lance, I'm glad to hear it's been trouble-free until now. The first thing to do is buy a standard DB15 MF extension cable to replace the one you have. (be sure it has gold pins). If that doesn't fix it, the problem is likely internal and not field-repairable. You can upgrade to a VP-X or find a used VP-50 part.

Hope that helps.

By the way, the "all your eggs in one basket" argument is a poor one. There are many systems on the plane that will cause an AOG, and this system is more reliable than the old mechanical systems it replaces.

Lance, I'm glad to hear it's been trouble-free until now. The first thing to do is buy a standard DB15 MF extension cable to replace the one you have. (be sure it has gold pins). If that doesn't fix it, the problem is likely internal and not field-repairable. You can upgrade to a VP-X or find a used VP-50 part.

Hope that helps.

By the way, the "all your eggs in one basket" argument is a poor one. There are many systems on the plane that will cause an AOG, and this system is more reliable than the old mechanical systems it replaces.
Thanks for your suggestion Marc. I buzzed out that cable and it all seemed good. I suspect something internal. The VP-50 was a great product.

I decided to go with an Advanced ACM. I'm installing it now and I'm very impressed. While quite a bit of work to retrofit into an already wired airplane, it will greatly improve features, maintainability and expansion in the future.

Back