What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans upgrade to U-00710 and U-00711 Axle

riobison

Well Known Member
Is this Vans upgrade to U-00710 and U-00711 Axle something that can be done to my existing RV9A that's been flying for 10 yrs?

This appears to be an updated axle to help eliminate the friction in the front wheel bearing or not?

There was I thought a Sticky somewhere in the forum that may have talked about some of the options but I can't seem to find it now.

Thanks
Tim

Is this Vans upgrade to U-00710 and U-00711 Axle something that can be done to my existing RV9A that's been flying for 10 yrs?

This appears to be an updated axle to help eliminate the friction in the front wheel bearing or not?

There was I thought a Sticky somewhere in the forum that may have talked about some of the options but I can't seem to find it now.

Thanks
Tim

The upgraded axle will allow the pre-load to be set more accurately.

The kit of parts is https://store.vansaircraft.com/rv-6a-7a-8a-9a-matco-nose-wheel-axle-kit-7a-9a-axle-kit.html

It is on backorder but Spruce has an equivalent
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/matcoaccessories.php

I have not seen VANS update part but I have used the Matco solid axle and it is excellent. It removes any preload/force on the bearing and torquing the axle nut to the correct torque value without affecting the force on the nose wheel bearings.

This helps thanks.

But, will it reduce or remove most of the friction in getting that wheel to rotate?

Tim

It should minimise the friction because there is not the clamping load on the taper bearings that is an issue with the plain bolt axle.

When the upgraded axle is fitted the wheel will initially be a bit stiff to turn until the seals get bedded in by taxiing.

For the least amount of friction Antisplat Aero offer a modified nose wheel with sealed bearings. https://antisplataero.com/products/nose-wheel-bearing-mod

This helps thanks.

But, will it reduce or remove most of the friction in getting that wheel to rotate?

Tim

It will reduce it but not eliminate it because some of the friction is the result of the rubber seal on the bearings dragging within the recess of the wheel.
This can vary from one to another because of tolerances.
If it still seems excessive, you can lightly sand around the perimeter of one of the ribs on the seal using a fine sanding disk to reduce its diameter slightly.

40+ hours ago I serviced the front wheel bearings when I bought the plane.

Bearing preload was set at a weak 7 pds. So since then probably 50+ take offs and landings with some extensive taxi distance here in CYQF. There is still about the same amount of friction to rotate the front wheel as when I serviced it.

I haven't sanded down the ribs on the seal but that is an option I guess. If I go that route I will need to make sure that I've cleaned the bearings good again after sanding and repacking.

Making Antisplat look better and better.

Tim

Back