What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's Customer Support Appreciation Day

Roy Thoma

Well Known Member
Those of you with Van's calendars from around 2007 through 2016 may remember that December 7 was (something like) Van's Customer Support Appreciation Day. The Van's employee that created those calendars was Joe Blank, and December 7 was Joe's birthday. My memory is that he took the day off and flew his RV-6 somewhere, the Oregon coast, the Alvord Desert, or one of his other favorite destinations. Joe passed away in late 2016 from colon cancer. We miss him.

Joe helped change our lives for the better. He gave Capt Sandy (now my wife) her first RV ride when I/we were deciding what to build for our 2nd plane. Joe was the first to fly N174RT other than myself and started the aerobatic testing in Phase 1.

Regards,

Joe was a great guy, helpful and willing to share knowledge with others.

He gave my wife Laura a ride in his 6 during some practice formation flying at one of the homecomings up in Independence.

At the RV BBQ at Reno around 2014.

Attachments

• JOE B.jpg
    JOE B.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Joe iwas my friend and a great person

I miss him very much.

This was a nice warm post to read. Thank you for creating it.

In 2010 my younger son and I flew to Aurora for the factory tour and a $100,000+ intro ride in the 7A. Joe was my seeing-eye Van's dude and pilot. I had already read on this forum that Joe was a 'righteous dude', but I was blown away.
What a quintessential nice guy! What a patient demo pilot! Such a wonderful representative of the Van's Aircraft brand and product.

I'm with y'all. I miss him.

Back