What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trio AP 180 turn out of IMC

glen25781

Hey guys,

I recently installed a Trio Pro Pilot in my 2010 RV6A (N447BD) and am very pleased with it. Got all the basics working and have taken it on several trips with no problems at all. I have an instrument rating and used to fly single pilot IFR years ago when I had my A36 Bonanza and flew regularly for business in all kinds of socked in weather.

These days I only fly VFR for pleasure trips, believing that unless you stay VERY current on instruments you are an accident waiting to happen when you are in the soup. Also, my RV is not equipped for IFR. I would like to know what the procedure is for the 180 standard rate turn out of inadvertent IMC. I know that even careful VFR pilots have been surprised by a quick cloud envelopment, especially in the vicinity of mountains. I think that one of the reasons I am still around to fly after after 45 years of aviation is my emphasis on safety. I may be an old pilot, but have never been accused of being a bold one...

Any help will be appreciated....either a reply on the forum or a quick phone call to talk me thru it.

Thanks mucho in advance,

Glen

Destin, FL

404-310-6048

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 21
The answer to your question is on page 28 of the Pro Pilot User manual, you can view the manual with this link:

https://trioavionics.com/Pro%20Pilot%20Manual%20for%20Experimental%20Aircraft%204.9.pdf

"Press and hold the H NAV or V NAV button for three seconds. The Pilot Pro will execute a 180 deg turn."

"If you are manually flying your aircraft, this procedure will also work because the servo does not have to
be engaged to initiate this emergency procedure so long as the power is on and the GPS has lock on the
satellite data."

There is additional info regarding display indications on Page 28 and 29. There is a lot of useful info in the manual for this full-featured auto pilot.

Last edited:
I think that one of the reasons I am still around to fly after after 45 years of aviation is my emphasis on safety.

Congrats on that attitude toward safety. After about the same time flying as you I've even been fired from a few companies for bringing up safety issues and at some even refusing to fly. I'm ok with that too because I'm still here like you, flying for fun now.

Back