What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Toss it?

thiggins

Well Known Member
I'm getting close to first start at my shop (Rotax ran it an hour at the factory).

Should I toss the factory oil filter or just keep it and put my oil in?

I will be purging the oil system of air next.

I would use the one that came on the engine but a new one is only a few bucks so replacing it may be worth the peace of mind.

I would use the one that came on the engine but a new one is only a few bucks so replacing it may be worth the peace of mind.

Yeah.
I bought a few filters along with oil while at Lockwood, just for this reason.
Yeah, relatively cheap insurance.

:)

I can't speak for Rotax however in most engine overhaul shops they install a new filter after the engine has been test-run as the filter check is part of the post-test inspections that are carried out prior to shipping the engine out the door.

As you suggested, for a start remove the filter and see whether it looks new or used. If its new you're away laughing. If its definitely used I would probably be inclined to use it for the first few hours and then replace it.

Follow up

I can confirm that they did install a new and dry looking oil filter.
However, it was so attached (dry) to the engine, I could not remove it without totally destroying it. There’s a nice new one on it now, with a lubed gasket, torqued as documented.

:confused:

Back