What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Stein Wave

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Hats off to Stein on the RV-8 circuit breaker wave panel. Since panel real estate is limited, it’s an excellent solution.

Much easier to wire and then put in place.

Attachments

• IMG_1253.jpg
    IMG_1253.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_1250.jpg
    IMG_1250.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 577
Once upon a time… some 20+ years ago, not my idea for sure, but removed the CBs in the original side panel and replaced by a ExpBus II which still works good to this day :)

Agree, nice $$$ work by Steinair.

Attachments

• IMG_6202.jpeg
    IMG_6202.jpeg
    271.4 KB · Views: 220
Clearance

Maybe it is just the picture, but I would check there is large gaps from the bus bars to the panel. Since the panel is probably grounded to structure, I would think there should be enough of a gap so that a loose washer or screw would not get caught between the bus bars and the panel. With a little vibration thrown in, this could be a bad day. In my case, I added insulating Kapton tape on the metal near the bus bars, besides relying on the paint, just for that extra bit of margin. JMHO. YMMV

Or.....

In your planning, try and use switch breakers wherever possible - saves a lot of wiring and hassle.

Not being familiar with this part of the RV-8, I have to ask... how do you replace a failed component down the road? Is there sufficient service loop in all that wiring for the whole assembly to be removed?

Not being familiar with this part of the RV-8, I have to ask... how do you replace a failed component down the road? Is there sufficient service loop in all that wiring for the whole assembly to be removed?

I built a panel for that location in my RV-8 twenty years ago, and yes - you have to leave a service loop to work on it. When we did a similar thing in our RV-3, I went one better - CPC disconnects so that the entire panel comes out. Essentially, the panel IS the electrical system nexus for the airplane, and all inputs and outputs go through appropriately sized CPC connectors (a low-number, large-contact plug for inputs, and a large-number, small-contact plug for outputs. Makes it REALY easy to do modifications down the line….

I don’t have the cool “accordion-style” panel faces like Stein does however…just flat panels. Maybe next time.

Absolutely. There is enough to put it in your lap

Attachments

• IMG_1261.jpg
    IMG_1261.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 127
Back