What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailbeacon and RV9 rudder

dafast1

With knowledge of this thread, especially my posts near the end of that thread…

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=189629&page=4&highlight=uAvionics

I notice that the one-antennae tailbeacon (978 MHz) has smaller dimensions than the tailbeaconX. (28.5 vs 30.48 in height). We know the X won’t fit in the 9 rudder, but can any RV9 owner confirm that this single antennae tailbeacon will fit in a 9 rudder without any modification to the rudder? Pics to confirm?

Additionally, has anyone purchased a used tailbeacon? Is transferring to a new user/aircraft ID a hassle or is it a simple process?
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2491.jpeg
    IMG_2491.jpeg
    813.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2490.jpeg
    IMG_2490.jpeg
    320.9 KB · Views: 68
It doesn't fit in the rudder, but it does fit in the wingtip, where it's less likely to be damaged by casual walkers-by or an errant tailwheel towbar swing.

I have flown two RV-9's with a Tailbeacon ON the rudder, the installation was seamless. But, I second the wingtip installation idea.

TB.jpg

I have moved them from one plane to another, all you need is the login and password to set it up. A call to the factory can get you this after a little verification of ownership.

groan, one says it doesn’t fit, one say it does fit.
I’m getting a used one; guess I’ll soon find out. 🙄
Also, the builder of my plane riveted the wing tips on.

Attachments

• IMG_2497.jpeg
    IMG_2497.jpeg
    810.2 KB · Views: 40
groan, one says it doesn’t fit, one say it does fit.
Sorry, I read the question wrong. The tailbeacon may fit, as it's smaller. The tailbeaconX has a larger box that sticks into the fiberglass and that may not fit.

uAvionix supplies a spacer that sits the tailbeaconX about 1/4" further out, that was enough to get it into my RV-6 fairing. A friend of mine installed one in an RV-7 and he chose to modify the fiberglass so the tailbeaconX would sit fully inserted without the spacer.

Also, the builder of my plane riveted the wing tips on.
You could drill out the rivets, remove the wingtips, and rivet in some hinge strips like on the cowling. Then the wingtips will be removable, and you can re-use all the rivet holes cleanly?

several trips into the USA, including a Hudson R corridor, a bucket list jaunt... all good. Thanks for your feedback.

Attachments

• IMG_8695~photo.jpg
    IMG_8695~photo.jpg
    1,007.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8697~photo.jpg
    IMG_8697~photo.jpg
    817.6 KB · Views: 11
Back