What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail Wagging

Wade

I'm New Here
I have recently purchased a flying RV 4. Wonderful, fun plane but it wags it's tail if I don't put pressure on the rudder pedals. Any recommendations?

Wade said:
I have recently purchased a flying RV 4. Wonderful, fun plane but it wags it's tail if I don't put pressure on the rudder pedals. Any recommendations?

Have you tried hitting it on the nose with a rolled up newspaper. :D

Actually, just a couple of weeks ago I remembered seeing something about this when I was searching for some info on riveting the trailing edge on my RV-7 rudder. Only took a second to find it again. Hope this helps.

http://www.matronics.com/digest/rocket-list/Digest.Rocket-List.2004-08-31.html

keeping the tail under control

I have about 475 hours in my 4 and I also felt that the tail wagged alot in turbulence. I had the chance to fly an 8 and found it to be much more stable in yaw which set the wheels turning. I thought maybe a little more vertical tail surface would do the trick. I spoke with Van at LOE and while he didn't think it was necessary he suggested that I could modify my rudder by using the 8 plans as guidance. There were other overriding factors in my decision to build a new rudder (cracks and oil canning) but the idea of improving yaw capability sealed the deal. I used .020 skins and a solid trailing edge available through Van's and added a counterbalance similar to the 7/8. I was able to use the original fiberglass tip by cutting and splicing. I cut the original skin down the TE and used the two pieces as drill guides/patterns for the new skins so I could use the original stiffeners. I used the lower rudder rib but had to build a new upper rib from scratch. The counterbalance skin is a new piece of .032 and I used a stock -8 lead weight cut about 2/3 size. The TE adds 1/2" of chord to the rudder and the counterbalance adds 1 3/4" of height to the vertical tail. While I did'nt get the stability of an 8 I think there is a slight improvement. The biggest gain is how much easier and better the airplane slips. Instead of standing on the rudder to get barely adequate slips I now use normal pressure and can come down like an elevator which is really nice with a FP prop.

Jeff

Back