What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TAAAWANGGGGG

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I connected the trim bias springs to the control column. When the stick is moved left or right, the spring is shifting where it attaches to the control column strap. When it does, the spring vibrates just like a guitar string with a loud twangggg.

I’m thinking a figure 8 safety wire to prevent it from slipping will cure the issue.

Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do?

Attachments

• IMG_1148.jpg
    IMG_1148.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
I connected the trim bias springs to the control column. When the stick is moved left or right, the spring is shifting where it attaches to the control column strap. When it does, the spring vibrates just like a guitar string with a loud twangggg.

I’m thinking a figure 3 safety wire to prevent it from slipping will cure the issue.

Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do?

Put a little bit of tygon tubing, or nylon tube or PTFE tubing, over the spring end where it bears on the steel control torque tube.

I took a different approach and chose to ignore it on both of my RVs. Why add weight or a piece of material that could somehow fail and potentially bind controls?

I had this and I think what I did was use a small split ring to make the connections at the ends of the springs. Not sure - it was a long time ago.

Putting a length of 1/2" clear vinyl tubing over the spring would also dampen the spring vibration.

I took a different approach and chose to ignore it on both of my RVs. Why add weight or a piece of material that could somehow fail and potentially bind controls?

How noticeable is it when flying?

My concern is noise means movement which means wear. If I secure it and it doesn’t move, it shouldn’t wear.

Back