What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Switches

rwarre

Well Known Member
So I have read much of the sec about switches, but rather than tying to reinvent the wheel, wanted to get suggestions on what switches to use.
I will 2 pmags, an avionics bus, endurance bus, and a main bus. I want to combine circuits so I can turn on one at a time such as the master then avionics switch as one.
I need a started switch but don't know how to configure that when I turn on the pmags. Is that also a 2-10 with a spring? Thanks for the help.

Hi Randy. My master is the APEM keyswitch purchased from Stein. It engages the master contactor and starts all the LRU's associated with the G3X PFD so the engine can be monitored while starting the engine. The starter button was also from Stein. The Avionics and ESS bus switches are Honeywell as they were the highest quality switches which is helpful for putting together a bunch of combined loads as you are (as I did). For all the others, largely SPST, were all APEM's readily available from ACS.
The spring loaded on-off-momentary for the PMAG was also from Stein, and I believe is a Honeywell.
All are toggle, not rocker (except the keyswitch and push button). I wanted serviceability and resilience.

Hope that helps.

Randy- If you're not married to the idea of a key switch, Stein sells a nice setup for P-mags. They are toggles that lock in the center "on" position. When you push them up to the P0-mag test position they spring load back to the center. I have a pair of these to control my dual Pmags and a pushbutton switch next to them for the starter which is also from stein.

The rest of my switches are all Honeywell toggles and I've used both SPDT and DPDT switches as needed to combine functions. I've got one that controls both batt and master as you mentioned,. As another example, I've got one where the center position turns on nav lights, and the up position turns on both nav and strobes.

It's not rocket science, but it does require a little planning to figure out how to pair stuff so that one switch failure won't take out redundancies. For example; I don't have landing and taxi lights both on one switch.

Here's a picture of my panel for reference. The master and start buttons are on the panel on the left. The big ones right above are the Pmag switches.

Attachments

• IMG_8248.jpeg
    IMG_8248.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
Randy- If you're not married to the idea of a key switch, Stein sells a nice setup for P-mags. They are toggles that lock in the center "on" position. When you push them up to the P0-mag test position they spring load back to the center. I have a pair of these to control my dual Pmags and a pushbutton switch next to them for the starter which is also from stein.

The rest of my switches are all Honeywell toggles and I've used both SPDT and DPDT switches as needed to combine functions. I've got one that controls both batt and master as you mentioned,. As another example, I've got one where the center position turns on nav lights, and the up position turns on both nav and strobes.

It's not rocket science, but it does require a little planning to figure out how to pair stuff so that one switch failure won't take out redundancies. For example; I don't have landing and taxi lights both on one switch.

Here's a picture of my panel for reference. The master and start buttons are on the panel on the left. The big ones right above are the Pmag switches.
Mine is very similar but no buss(s). I have the Advanced Control Module. P-mags are powered off the hot side of the Master solenoid. Two breakers and two of the aforementioned SteinAir Honeywell switches. If the ACM fails, P-mags have power and I have 30 minutes on the Dynon backup to get her down. Start switch and all the toggles are Honeywell from SteinAir. Round push button start. Lights (Land, Taxi, Nav, Strobe, Wig-Wag) are all separate switches.

Back