What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Supercharged Subaru Complete Firewall Forward Package

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asking $19,000
($39,000 value priced to sell)

Complete Eggenfellner Subaru firewall forward package including engine, supercharger, gearbox, propeller, Custom cowl and parts to facilitate a quick installation.

Package includes:
? 2.5L supercharged single cam engine with engine mount for RV-7A
? Gearbox - Gen 3, mod 4 ($3000 upgrade)
? Constant speed Three blade MVT-7-C propeller & spinner ($9000 value with 115 hours on prop)
? Custom cowl ($6000 value)
? Custom made radiators ($1600 value) (factory supplied radiators will be included)
? Custom engine plate ($900 value) (original engine plate included)
? Oil/water heat exchanger ($1,200 value)
? Induction Ram Air Filter ($750 value)
? Internal (inside cowl) muffler ($900)
? Dual fuel pumps and filters
? Hot water heater for the cabin with 3 position switch
? Andair firewall pass through fuel filter
? Oil and fuel pressure transducers
? Oil, coolant, and gearbox temperature transducers
? Air/fuel ratio meter ($400 value)
? Oetiker pliers and clamps
? Subaru engine manual

Package does not include
? Grand Rapids Technologies, Inc. EIS4000
? Andair Fuel Selector Valve

Reason for selling: I have flown the engine on my RV-7A for 250 hours. The maximum TAS was 155 knots. This just isn't fast enough for me.
For complete details see: http://www.caseyspm.com/RV7A.html and click on [Subaru Engine Cooling].

eMail [email protected]
Mike Casey
6528 S. Oneida Ct.
Centennial, CO 80111 USA
Phone 303-771-0815

Subarus FS?

Asking $19,000
($39,000 value priced to sell)

Complete Eggenfellner Subaru firewall forward package including engine, supercharger, gearbox, propeller, Custom cowl and parts to facilitate a quick installation.

There seem to be a number of these engines for sale lately, or is it my imagination? What's the deal?

Jack L.
:confused:

You'll see another one shortly....

There seem to be a number of these engines for sale lately, or is it my imagination? What's the deal?

Jack L.
:confused:

....as soon as my buddy's Lyco arrives..(Next week).

Let's see...coolant temps always around 220 and as high as 250 if he climbs steeper than 400FPM.

Gen11 gearbox just replaced for several
grand..

Airspeed under 160MPH wide open...

Anemic takeoff and climb...and this on a very clean -7.

Regards,

Not many rotaries for sale though... ;) It does seem odd so many Subarus being taken out - Ross' EJ22T powered RV6A seems to do pretty well. How many of these Subys have been on the dyno? Is the problem "just" the combination of cooling and drag?

Last edited:
You don't need a dyno to tell that most of these engines don't produce the same power as a good Lycoming at similar fuel flows as they usually don't match the speeds. You need all the latest Egg mods on the cooling- big rads, cowl flap and proper sealing to the inlets to get good cooling in hot climates. IMO the Evans coolant does not cool as well as conventional EGW either.

I have no plans to replace my Sube with a Lycoming but I spent 2 full years testing, cutting, adding, discarding until I got it to work well and cool well. Most people buying turnkey packages might not have the patience to keep modding and testing once they get the plane built.

Some STI users are going ahead with cooling, induction and electronic mods at the moment. It will be interesting to see how these work out. I still think these can be great powerplants with a few tweaks.

You don't need a dyno to tell that most of these engines don't produce the same power as a good Lycoming at similar fuel flows as they usually don't match the speeds. You need all the latest Egg mods on the cooling- big rads, cowl flap and proper sealing to the inlets to get good cooling in hot climates. IMO the Evans coolant does not cool as well as conventional EGW either.

I have no plans to replace my Sube with a Lycoming but I spent 2 full years testing, cutting, adding, discarding until I got it to work well and cool well. Most people buying turnkey packages might not have the patience to keep modding and testing once they get the plane built.

Some STI users are going ahead with cooling, induction and electronic mods at the moment. It will be interesting to see how these work out. I still think these can be great powerplants with a few tweaks.

I travel to Tulsa on the 16th of this month to watch the dyno run of the IO360 (180HP) assembled by BPE. They've invited me down for the event. I much look forward to it. If all goes well, the engine will be slid into my SUV and it will be transported back to Missouri and N707DD.

The Subaru could be dyno run like any other engine but it probably would not tell the whole story. It would be tested at 6000 rpm and come in at 200 plus HP for sure. But mount it to an airplane with the psru, a less than perfect prop, and run it at 4800-5000 rpm, it won't be anywhere near 200 HP. The power estimates by EGG are taken off a chart based on rpm and may not be very accurate. From the very beginning this was apparent and I accepted it because there were some other things about the engine I really liked. It started very easy, ran very smooth, never hesitated and was a delight to fly behind.

I lost confidence last year when it over heated seriously with the prop stuck in a fine pitch mode. It seemed to lose power after that event. Top speed at 2500' WOT 2600 rpm was 150 KTAS. It had been 163.

Since then Rod Schneider has disassembled the engine to check for obvious internal heat related damage. There was none. He reports the engine is very clean and looks like new. The valves, pistons and rings are in very good shape. There was a slight amount of tan colored material in the combustion chamber probably associated with burning 100LL now and then.

So what happened? I switched mufflers. Originally there were 2 super traps mounted from a suspension hanger under the fuselage. I hated them because they vibrated so much. The bottom skin was like it was alive inflight with vibration and noise. Jan created an internal muffler consisting of a series of internal baffles in a SS box and a single exit port. It has been reported some users did suffer a performance loss, some did not. That may well have been the cause of the drop in power.

All in all, this is good news for H6 operators. I felt from the beginning the engine was near bullet proof except for the chronic cooling issues and not being able to wind it up to 6000 rpm to use its full potential. There were enough good things going on to live with it as is - up until that over heat event which it turns out was a none event.

Except for the money involved, I am satisfied with the decision to move on. I simply do not have the patience to attack and solve the problems remaining with a very early H6 installed in an RV. They could all have been solved but it would have cost more money yet and the return on investment simply is not there.

Unforgivable

I just find the fact that a seller promotes BEST RV ENGINE, sells a complete ready to go fwfd kit that is just bolt on....and all these good folks that work hard for their money get the shaft.
Experimental is fine, but its clearly promoted as ready to go complete. I love the engine but if i spent $30k, spent hundreds of extra hours on this and had to dump it as landfill for 1/3 of what i paid while that business still pushed their products as ready to go.......there would be big problems.

Love the engine, disgusted by seller support of his clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back