What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Station numbers for foreflight

Redbud

Sponsor
I just bought a 9A. I’m looking for cockpit, fuel tank and baggage area station numbers. Can anyone help? Forward and aft weight and cg limits too. It’s got an O360 and constant speed prop. Maybe there’s somewhere on this site that has the info?

Van's has this info on their site.

Fuel .........................................................76.75” aft of datum
Pilot/Passenger.......................................92.70” aft of datum
Baggage ................................................122.00” aft of datum

LIMITS
Design C.G. Range.............................15%-28% of wing chord OR between 77.95- 84.84 inches aft of datum
Utility Category Aft CG Limit...............24% of chord OR 82.72” aft of datum
Recommended Gross Weight ...........1750 lbs
Maximum Utility Category Weight .....1600 lbs

https://www.vansaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/RV9Awb.pdf

Item Arm
Airplane 76.9 (you have to get this from weighing the airplane)
Pax 92.7
Fuel 76.8
Baggage 122.0

"Normal Category" 1750# 15-28% MAC
"Utility Category" 1600# 15-24% MAC
Arms & MAC 77.95 84.84
15% 28%
(allowable range, arm and MAC)

Enjoy your -9A!

Ed

I just bought a 9A. I’m looking for cockpit, fuel tank and baggage area station numbers. Can anyone help? Forward and aft weight and cg limits too. It’s got an O360 and constant speed prop. Maybe there’s somewhere on this site that has the info?

Here's the link for the RV9/9A W&B info from Van's.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjC78jl0sj_AhXWC0QIHYXUCKoQFnoECBUQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.vansaircraft.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2020%2F05%2FRV-9-Manual-Weight-Balance-Rev-5.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2TwyvVPJjDq9zruonSf816

Don't you have the POH the builder created?

It should be much more accurate than anything you'll find on line. And for that matter, it shouldn't be a question as to whether you have it or nor.

If you don't have a POH, do you also not have your operating limitations? The oplims are a regulatory requirment, IIRC.

Edited to ad: The station is based on a datum, which is different for every plane (small variance, but variance nonethess) so the correct number for YOURS may not match any other

Last edited:
Still need forward and aft weight limits

Thanks to all for the information. I’ll pick it up next week. In the right seat riding along because I need transition training. I’m playing around with foreflight setting up a test plane for flight planning. I’ll put in the real numbers before I actually use the w&b in foreflight. I’ve paid my dues for 2023 too.

Thanks to all for the information. I’ll pick it up next week. In the right seat riding along because I need transition training. I’m playing around with foreflight setting up a test plane for flight planning. I’ll put in the real numbers before I actually use the w&b in foreflight. I’ve paid my dues for 2023 too.

Re: "Still need forward and aft weight limits"

There are no forward or aft cg weight cutoffs, so the gross weight is constant across the published cg range:

Normal Category Gross Weight - 1750 lbs, between 77.95- 84.84 inches aft of datum.
Maximum Utility Category Weight - 1600 lbs, Utility Category Aft CG Limit - 82.72” aft of datum.

DATUM is 70 inches forward of the wing leading edge.

Note that there is a nosewheel weight limit if the airplane does not have the U-00019 nose gear leg. It is shown on the last page of this link:

Last edited:
Back