What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starting up advice please

Sparrowhwk

Patron
Hello all,
I am getting my hangar set up for a recently acquired flying RV (tailwheel).
While I have a small selection of tools at home for general round the house stuff, I would like to set up the hangar for ongoing maintenance and not carry tools back and forth.
As I was not the builder, I will be using an A&P for the Condition inspections but would like to learn the regular maintenance stuff that I can do myself between inspections.
So far I have a workbench (with a couple of drawers), a vice and a creeper, so I need to get the rest. (I know I need to get some lights on stands as I only have basic lighting).

Tools:
- Is it better (and possibly more cost effective) to buy tools in a set like the readily available mechanics tool sets from the big box stores, or buy a tool chest and purchase the tools piecemeal?

- Do you have a recommendations for a tool kit?

- Linked to the above, are there any specific tools I should get that would be considered "must haves" for RV maintenance?

- Any other suggestions for setting up the hangar from a maintenance standpoint, without going overboard. I will start with just doing the basics as I learn.

Thanks for your input - specific recommendations from your experience would be wonderful.

Tools

Hello all,
I am getting my hangar set up for a recently acquired flying RV (tailwheel).
While I have a small selection of tools at home for general round the house stuff, I would like to set up the hangar for ongoing maintenance and not carry tools back and forth.
As I was not the builder, I will be using an A&P for the Condition inspections but would like to learn the regular maintenance stuff that I can do myself between inspections.
So far I have a workbench (with a couple of drawers), a vice and a creeper, so I need to get the rest. (I know I need to get some lights on stands as I only have basic lighting).

Tools:
- Is it better (and possibly more cost effective) to buy tools in a set like the readily available mechanics tool sets from the big box stores, or buy a tool chest and purchase the tools piecemeal?

- Do you have a recommendations for a tool kit?

- Linked to the above, are there any specific tools I should get that would be considered "must haves" for RV maintenance?

- Any other suggestions for setting up the hangar from a maintenance standpoint, without going overboard. I will start with just doing the basics as I learn.

Thanks for your input - specific recommendations from your experience would be wonderful.

I'm not a fan of tool sets. I don't need 10 screwdrivers or a half dozen pairs of pliers.

For a hangar set, I would get Harbor Fright. Most fasteners are 3/8 & 1/2. Torque values are not high. Not likely you will bust a tool or strip a fastener. I prefer six point sockets.
1/4" drive SAE standard size and a deep well socket sets.
A wratchet and a set of extensions. One wobble set and one set of standard extensions.
Set of six point combination wrenches. They probably don't sell six point wrenches. 12 point are fine.

Also look at Pawn Shops. I've scored some nice Snap-On stuff cheap. I also buy one of each size wrench and socket from the cheapo bin for those times when you have to make a tool. Most shops sell them real cheap. I won't cut or grind a Snap-On and you would be surprised how often a thin open or box end wrench is needed. Many of mine are also bent or cut to short lengths to fit into tight spaces. Sockets are ground thin wall.

The other stuff needs to be higher quality
A good screw driver (s). Many don't like convertible but I do. Four bits and two nut drivers on on tool. A good one works well.
CDI 1/4" drive torque wrench. They make Snap-On. It's very high quality.
Set of safety wire pliers
Adel clamp tool or several hemostats

Optional extras
Set of Knipex smooth jaw pliers
Wire stripper
Wire crimper. I prefer the wratchet style with interchangable jaws for terminals, Molex and coax
D-sub pin crimper

Bunch of other stuff kinda depends on how the airplane is set up and how deep you want to go.
Working hinge pins can require vice grips and a drill.
Skybolts require special tools if one has to be repaired
Rivet tools and bucking bars.
Rivets
DVM
Terminals
Stuff for changing oil and filter
Others will chime in with lots more.

Last edited:
The #1 tools I'd recommend as a 12 year non-builder owner are:

A set of ratchet box end wrenches. Harbor Freight usually has a set. Very useful.

I'd also recommend a right angle drill or adapter. I have a Dewalt adapter that goes for just $20 that I use all the time. Phillips hex shank bits make removing screws in corners and along edges much easier. Lowes and HD have them.

Really good Phillips screwdrivers. There was a thread not too long ago on some good options.

You'll probably acquire lots of other tools that I'd buy piecemeal, but the 3 above are tools where you could "get by" with lesser/other options, but they're relatively cheap and make some things SOOOOOO much easier.

Contrary to Larry, I can say I've never needed a Molex crimper, and I only needed a coax crimper because I replaced some coax that was damaged. I'd put both those crimpers on the borrow as needed list. Good terminal crimpers and wire strippers are good to own though, along with precision wire cutters that you don't use for safety wire.

You will need safety wire pliers and side cutters.

Last edited:
Don’t forget the tools/gauges to remove, clean, gap, and re-install spark plugs. And a supply of copper gaskets and graphite thread lube. You’ll use these all the time.

Best tool in the bag is knowledge. This should be your first purchase.

Available from the Mothership and various other suppliers like ACS. It will give you ideas of tools you will need.

Didn’t see it mentioned but an inch pounds torque wrench will be needed.

Attachments

• IMG_1015.jpg
    IMG_1015.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I laid in a basic stock of Harbor Freight tools...ratchets, wrenches, screwdrivers and shuttled a lot of other tools from home until I understood my maintenance needs, then acquired the rest piecemeal as I found I needed them. This wasn't a big problem for me since I only live 10 miles from the airport.

Otherwise, IMHO one of the tools I use most is my 12v Milwaukee cordless drill with a reliable clutch, and a good set of bits.

Tools

I should have pointed out the design of the airplane will likely drive some purchases.
Obviously, if there are no Molex connectors, that crimper has no purpose.
Some crimpers like the D-su are very expensive. For maintenance, borrowing is more logical.
Buy the basics and add the rest as time goes on.

Last edited:
Last edited:
From Lycoming Service Instruction No. 1042AH, "Approved Spark Plugs":

"3. Use a copper-based anti-seize compound or engine oil on spark plug threads starting two full threads from the electrode, but DO NOT use a graphite-based compound."

Yeah, about that…..when Lycoming came out with that recommendation, we recognized that if it was true, every A&P with a bottle of the Champion stuff had been doing it wrong for about eighty years. We (the magazine) dropped a note to Lycoming’s engineering staff, and asked what had changed, and the guy we talked to had always used the black stuff! He was going to check in to it, but never got back to us - seems to me there is some internal debate over it that hasn’t been resolved…..

Oh, and for the OP, if you’re starting from scratch, you might consider skipping the Phillips screwdrivers and buying some JIS screwdrivers - you can get them on Amazon, or from McMaster, they don’t cost any more than a good Phillips, and they fit Phillips Head screws better so they are less likely to strip out the screw head.

Last edited:

A frig well stocked with beverages of your choice.

Consider a cordless Dremel with small sanding drums and small fiber reinforced cut off discs. Safety glasses and ear protection. Torque wrench (maybe already mentioned) in inch/lbs., and ft/lbs. Inspection lacquer. Aeroshell 22 grease or equivalent. Air compressor and retractable hose for tire inflation and/or air tools. Again...Harbor Freight has nice selections. I would suggest an oiled compressor. Less noise and work better. Harbor Freight has some nice rolling toolboxes in about 5 colors. Great when working on the plane.

https://www.harborfreight.com/30-in-5-drawer-mechanics-cart-blue-64031.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12192887200&campaignid=12192887200&utm_content=120010558994&adsetid=120010558994&product=64031&store=58&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlOyI09HQgAMVOi-tBh31Lg5PEAQYASABEgLehfD_BwE

Thank you

Thank you to everyone for the advice and suggestions - I'm taking notes and will go shopping soon.

I am admittedly a bit of a tool snob, so take this for what's it's worth:

For wrenches and ratchets I would pass on the HF stuff and get good set (Snap-on, MAC, etc...) Power tools - Milwaukee. I will buy hammers and other implements of destruction at HF, but that's it. There are times where a cheap tool just doesn't get the job done, and besides once you get used to the quality it's hard to go back.

Most of the pro tool companies will offer to sell auto mechanic students tool boxes and sets for half off to get them into the brand. Later on when these kids decide working on cars isn't for them they dump the tool sets on Craigslist or Facebook. You can buy a really nice, lightly used, complete set at a good discount. Something to consider if you don't want to piecemeal it.

Non builder here as well. In addition to the great suggestions. Small electric screwdriver, Grypmat, quick drain oil plug / hose, 5 gal bucket with wire mesh to drain oil filter on, funnel, small grease gun for tailwheel, Mouse Milk for exhaust joints. Pump for your smoke oil barrel. Bigger fridge for more beer. Welcome!

i-2HLnBVv-M.jpg

Good friends at your airport

Here's the best suggestion you're going to get.

Make sure you have a good circle of friends at your airport who are builders.

They have all the tools, and if you establish yourself as someone who respects their tools and will return them promptly you can educate yourself on what you need to buy. Use it once...borrow it, use it multiple times...buy it.

Start with an inexpensive "set" of sockets, open end wrenches, and screwdrivers. Learn by experience what else you really need. Don't buy anything until you determine you will use it frequently.

And keep your fridge well stocked.

A cordless drill. Didn't see this mentioned yet. Saves a lot of time removing and replacing panels. You can save some money with your A&P if you open up and close up the airplane for inspections.

Number 2 Phillips or JIS bits for the above. I like the Bosch CCP2205. They are fully hardened and tempered and have anti camout ridges (ACR) that grab the screw to prevent camout while driving.

Possibly a magnetic bit holder for the above such as the BOSCH ITBH201.

Back