What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stainless Steel Work Table Tops

David Paule

Well Known Member
Yeah, this is overkill, but dang, they are nice. They are so easy to clean and they don't mar quickly. Of course you can't readily drill into the top and cleco to it, but you can always drop some plywood or better, that white melamine-faced cabinet sheet and drill into that.

Anyway, if you are going to use stainless, here's the thing: It should not be thinner than 18 gauge or .050" (edited; previously it was "could be").

The white melamine-faced cabinet sheet I mentioned above? That's my first choice, with stainless being my second. But stainless is better for kitchen counters, grill carts, etc.

Dave

Last edited:
My work tables were all built so the work surface could be replaced. Each time I started a new aircraft project, the tables got new melamie tops.

My work tables were all built so the work surface could be replaced. Each time I started a new aircraft project, the tables got new melamie tops.
NO stainless steel for me.
I built my RV building table out of wood. It is 10 feet x 4 feet with a 3/4" plywood top that overhangs the base for clamping.
Stainless is way to cold if you put our elbow down.
My plywood deck has a billion holes from drilling things and is warm to the touch and guess what???? you can screw something down to it if you want to.
Works great.
No Formica/melamine either, It fractures way to much.
I have worked on metal tables before and did not like them.
But I'm only 72 so maybe it better for you
My luck varies Fixit

Yeah, this is overkill, but dang, they are nice. They are so easy to clean and they don't mar quickly. Of course you can't readily drill into the top and cleco to it, but you can always drop some plywood or better, that white melamine-faced cabinet sheet and drill into that.

Anyway, if you are going to use stainless, here's the thing: It can be thinner than 18 gauge or .050". I don't know how much thinner. You're buying it by the pound, basically, so thinner is cheaper.

The white melamine-faced cabinet sheet I mentioned above? That's my second choice.

Dave
Might not be preferred for building an airplane, but sure as heck great for my beer brewing!

NO stainless steel for me.
I built my RV building table out of wood. It is 10 feet x 4 feet with a 3/4" plywood top that overhangs the base for clamping.
Stainless is way to cold if you put our elbow down.
My plywood deck has a billion holes from drilling things and is warm to the touch and guess what???? you can screw something down to it if you want to.
Works great.
No Formica/melamine either, It fractures way to much.
I have worked on metal tables before and did not like them.
But I'm only 72 so maybe it better for you
My luck varies Fixit
My tables are topped with 3/4 plywood, than covered again with 3/4 melamine. Very solid - you could beat anything into submission on them!

My tables are topped with 3/4 plywood, than covered again with 3/4 melamine. Very solid - you could beat anything into submission on them!
MIne are just the 3/4 melamine, which I've set up to be reversible. That stuff is excellent, and frankly, preferable to stainless.

Dave

Best table for my needs is a flat multi ply top covered with 45 mil EPDM (ethylene propylene diene monomer) pond liner from the pond shop. Not slippery, absorbs impact and you can shoot a screw thru it to hold something down and it self heals.

Bill wanted photos. This may seem a bit off-topic but in the context of work benches, and work bench tops, it's entirely on-topic. Well, somewhat on-topic anyway.

This is one of the eight work benches I've made to the general design in the underlined link. Four are out at the hangar and three are serving my RV-3B right now.

Last November this cart with a Big Green Egg grill blew over. The BGE was destroyed but the rugged cart was fine, except for having an 18" hole. I slapped a coat of varnish on the top, since it was rougher than it appears here.

Top Varnished.JPG

But the hole needed filling. Some 3/4" plywood, varnished on the bottom, was screwed down. The 1" gap was from using scrap wood.

New Plywood.JPG

I left the top bare so I could epoxy the stainless steel to it. I used Jeffco epoxy since it was handy. Before bonding it, I lightly abraded the surface and cleaned it with lacquer thinner followed by an IPA (the alcohol kind of IPA) wipe. The surface you see here was protected with a tougher vinyl than Van's uses. I prefer Van's.

Stainless On.JPG

The shop was unheated during this time and it took a couple of days to be cured enough that I was comfortable deburring the edges of the stainless. That didn't take long with a large mill file.

Finally, I put my Mini BGE and the pizza cart on the cart.

Cart Full.JPG

Dave

Attachments

• Cart Full.JPG
    Cart Full.JPG
    259.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Stainless On.JPG
    Stainless On.JPG
    196.1 KB · Views: 3
  • New Plywood.JPG
    New Plywood.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Top Varnished.JPG
    Top Varnished.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 3
Bill wanted photos. This may seem a bit off-topic but in the context of work benches, and work bench tops, it's entirely on-topic. Well, somewhat on-topic anyway.

This is one of the eight work benches I've made to the general design in the underlined link. Four are out at the hangar and three are serving my RV-3B right now.

Last November this cart with a Big Green Egg grill blew over. The BGE was destroyed but the rugged cart was fine, except for having an 18" hole. I slapped a coat of varnish on the top, since it was rougher than it appears here.

But the hole needed filling. Some 3/4" plywood, varnished on the bottom, was screwed down. The 1" gap was from using scrap wood.

View attachment 57113

I left the top bare so I could epoxy the stainless steel to it. I used Jeffco epoxy since it was handy. Before bonding it, I lightly abraded the surface and cleaned it with lacquer thinner followed by an IPA (the alcohol kind of IPA) wipe. The surface you see here was protected with a tougher vinyl than Van's uses. I prefer Van's.

The shop was unheated during this time and it took a couple of days to be cured enough that I was comfortable deburring the edges of the stainless. That didn't take long with a large mill file.

Finally, I put my Mini BGE and the pizza cart on the cart.

View attachment 57115

Dave

I did similar. Got a nice sheet of stainless steel from my fabricator, had him cut the hole for the BGE, roll all the edges and weld the seams. Great food prep surface,

egg.jpg

I keep a sheet of ordinary coated steel on one of my work benches, about 3x3. Anything involving oil, grease, or liquid gets worked there. Easy to clean.

A really clean area is also desirable when doing any sort of engine assembly.

Another option. Hot rolled 14 gauge steel with a patina finish. $154 for a 2’ x 12’ piece.
I just did it so can’t say how I’ll like it but I do like the idea and the price.

Attachments

• IMG_6149.jpeg
    IMG_6149.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 19
Back