What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SPOT decision

I bought a spot because it is one of the neatest gadgets I've seen. After using it a couple of times I discovered some quirks, however. The one I don't like is that you can't send an OK message while in tracking mode. For anybody to track you live you must give them access to your account ID and password. The account data base has personal info. That person also may make changes just as if he/she were you. It's ok if its a very trusted party.

SPOT has a "view only" modification to their site coming in April which will allow access to tracking but not account data.

I purchased one of these SPOT devices for the airplane.

I purchased the extra $50 plan for continuous tracking. On a trip last weekend to Monterey I put it in on the glareshield of the airplane, and also on the dash of the rental car. Just left it there. My wife, who was back home, loved it because she could see exactly where my daughter and I were at any time. She saw us drive to the airport in Salinas, and knew with some certainty when she could expect us home.

These things require Lithium batteries, 2 AA at $2 apiece. However, we ran the thing for two straight days on one set.

John Allen

Back