What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spacing for my antennas

S. Soule

Where can I get guidance about spacing my comm and transponder antennas? Not only the answer (an answer?), but the theory of how to figure it out.

The manufacturer should have specific requirements.
Garmin for example:

• Be attached away from major protrusions, such as engines, nacelles, propellers, and antenna masts.
• Be as far as practical from landing gear doors, access doors, or other openings that could affect its
radiation pattern.
• Be vertically attached on the bottom of the aircraft.
• Not be attached within three feet of the ADF sense antenna or any other communication antenna.
• Not be attached within six feet of a DME antenna.
• Be attached to a minimum of three feet of cable from the GTX 35R/45R to prevent RF interference

Where can I get guidance about spacing my comm and transponder antennas? Not only the answer (an answer?), but the theory of how to figure it out.
A common rule of thumb is that there should never be another antenna placed closer that the length of the longest antenna. IOW, If you have a 21" antenna, no other antenna should be placed within 21" of that antenna.

What you're going to find is that an RV is so small that it's physically impossible to meet all the manufacturers guidance on antenna placement. Read through the install manual for your system but understand that you're going to have to make some compromises.

The section that was quoted in the above post is just for the xponder antenna. Every box will have a section like that specific to its own antenna requirements.

SteinAir has some line drawings on their website with generic recommendations of locations that have historically worked well on RV's

Back