What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Solar Eclipse fly-in

airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
We are hosting a fly-in (burgers on the pit) at lunchtime on Saturday the 14th for viewing the solar eclipse with like-minded aviators. 73XA is a fairly new airport so you'll need a current chart to find it, we are about 36nm southeast of Midland TX under V68, with a 5000'x30' packed dirt runway in excellent condition. We will be monitoring 123.45 on the ground. Ya'll come! Just taxi up to the house at the southeast corner and fight for a parking spot! :D

The solar eclipse begins locally at 11:45am and ends 1:20pm. Please let us know if you're coming so we can get the right amount of food.

Last edited:
Its amazing to see

We had planned to come down from NC, but cant fit in the schedule. My wife and I experienced it here in NC a few years back. Triple Tree Aerodrome hosted a watch party and had several hundred aircraft attend on the ground, but we chose to watch it from the air. Took off from our home airport 8A7 as the eclipse penumbral began, flew about 120 miles to be directly above Triple Tree at 12K which was is in the line of totality for the total eclipse, then returned back home during the partial and penumbral phases. We both had the dark glasses, and switched flying duties for view during partial, but enjoyed the minute or so of total eclipse with no glasses. To me, it was once in a lifetime flying experience, and I am glad I made that choice! Looks like deep sunset in 360 degrees and pictures do not do justice. here are a couple pics from the RV-4 at 12K. You don't have time to take many !

Attachments

• Eclipse.jpg
    Eclipse.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 24
  • total eclipse.jpg
    total eclipse.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 19
Just a comment. Any excuse for a party is great! But don’t have super-high expectations. Next week’s eclipse is an annular eclipse - the sun shines around the moon - and is nowhere near the same as a total eclipse (coming six months later).

Just a comment. Any excuse for a party is great! But don’t have super-high expectations. Next week’s eclipse is an annular eclipse - the sun shines around the moon - and is nowhere near the same as a total eclipse (coming six months later).

Bob,
Good reason for 2 Parties

Then rate ‘em

Boomer:D

Back