What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smoke Routing in Tunnel

I did a search of threads here and found some good information but nothing specific about smoke line routing forward of the tank.

My intuition is to run the line up the tunnel, however, I have not wired anything yet and I am concerned about having space in there.

I did find another build log where the builder ran the line up the pilots side lower longeron. I quite liked that, however, I’d like to see if it’s possible to still run it through the tunnel.

Just went through this in my already flying 14A. I'm not a builder but had a very experienced builder guiding me. We found that even if we could get the oil line through the tunnel that once in the engine compartment there was already lots of things going on in the limited space available where the oil line comes through the firewall. If the smoke system had been installed during the initial build probably could've made it work. After lots of contemplating and experimenting we ultimately ran the oil line down the left side of pilot seat where you mentioned. Went through the firewall in the lower left corner behind left rudder pedal. That space on the firewall inside of engine compartment had the most room of anywhere and we could comfortably install the fittings and hoses there.

Just went through this in my already flying 14A. I'm not a builder but had a very experienced builder guiding me. We found that even if we could get the oil line through the tunnel that once in the engine compartment there was already lots of things going on in the limited space available where the oil line comes through the firewall. If the smoke system had been installed during the initial build probably could've made it work. After lots of contemplating and experimenting we ultimately ran the oil line down the left side of pilot seat where you mentioned. Went through the firewall in the lower left corner behind left rudder pedal. That space on the firewall inside of engine compartment had the most room of anywhere and we could comfortably install the fittings and hoses there.
Forgot to mention we did run the power and ground through the tunnel.

Back