What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

smallest gauge wire in an RV

waltb

Question for pilots who have built and flown... For VERY low amperage feedback wiring. AKA LED lights and feedback gauges,

What is the smallest gauge wire you would use in a build. (example. Pitch trim feedback)

Thanks

Walt B. Helping a friend with an RV-8 build.

The wire supplied from Ray Allen for their servos etc is pretty small, IIRC it is 26 or maybe 24.

As a general rule, 20, but some #22 if in a bundle. On runs like ADS-b receiver, autopilot servos (data only, not power), OAT probes, RC Allen trim servos and such I’ll use three or four conductor #22 shielded wire as it is more robust.

Carl

FWIW MIL-W-5088L "Wiring, Aerospace Vehicle" Paragraph 3.8.8 says "This specification permits the use of size 22 wires as the minimum wire size for airplanes, helicopters, and lighter-than-air vehicles, and prohibits size 24 and smaller gauges."
Obviously we aren't bound by MIL SPECs but I still think it is good advice.

FWIW MIL-W-5088L "Wiring, Aerospace Vehicle" Paragraph 3.8.8 says "This specification permits the use of size 22 wires as the minimum wire size for airplanes, helicopters, and lighter-than-air vehicles, and prohibits size 24 and smaller gauges."
Obviously we aren't bound by MIL SPECs but I still think it is good advice.
Thats really good advice as smaller wire can be fragile. However it is not uncommon these days to see some low current signal lines as AWG 24, particularly with some high density D subs. The normal D sub pins are for 20 to 22 AWG wire. Only some high density ones use 24 ga pins.

Thats really good advice as smaller wire can be fragile. However it is not uncommon these days to see some low current signal lines as AWG 24, particularly with some high density D subs. The normal D sub pins are for 20 to 22 AWG wire. Only some high density ones use 24 ga pins.
AFAIK

D-Sub standard density contacts use 20 awg down to 24 awg.
D-Sub high density contacts use 22 awg down to 28 awg

I’m planning 20 awg as smallest in most cases for mechanical robustness.

For the most part, I will not buy wire for aircraft use less than 22 AWG. The only exception to that is the CABLE sold for Ray Allen servos that Mike S talks about. IF there was a multi-wire cable that I could get in 22 AWG, I would use it instead.

For the most part, I will not buy wire for aircraft use less than 22 AWG. The only exception to that is the CABLE sold for Ray Allen servos that Mike S talks about. IF there was a multi-wire cable that I could get in 22 AWG, I would use it instead.
Ray Allen sells 5-wire cable 24 awg unshielded Teflon insulated.

Steinair sells 5-wire cable 22 awg unshielded Tefzel insulated in Ray Allen colors for the same price.

Back