What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Share G3X autopilot settings?

Toddsanderson

Well Known Member
My 14A has the g3X touch and 507 controller. When I received the plane the autopilot and trim was configured per Vans recommendation other than the pitch gain was set at .5 and roll at .6. I worked very well other than when pitch changes are made from straight and level climb. If I’m at 150 knots indicated at 5k ft and command a IAS climb of 110 knots the autopilot way overshoots the 110 speed going as low as 100 and then pitches down blowing past 110 and progressively getting worse. I bumped the pitch and roll gains both up to Vans recommended setting an and they were way to ham fisted and didn’t help the pitch oscillation. I set both to 1.0 and that seems good. What do I adjust to make the IAS climb work?

I am going to look up my gains when I go to the airport but those are low value and I had to change them, especially for the pitch. If memory serves me right, I have set the gain to 1 or 1.1 and it works pretty nicely now.

I will get the numbers unless someone beats me to it.

Changing the pitch gain randomly is not going to help you with airspeed mode. You need to follow the very detailed step-by-step autopilot tuning guide in the installation manual, or else you won't get good results.

A/P Settings

The Vans recommended settings for the 14A resulted in pitch changes that were too fast for me. I tried the tuning method, and those results were not that much better. I reduced the trim speeds by 20% and that was better, and I reduced them once more 10% I believe. Yea I know not scientific but worked for me, results may vary. Every now and then I get a slight oscillation that I think reducing trim speeds might help but I don't want to make it too sluggish. 99% of the time it's perfect.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-01 205307.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-09-01 205307.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Boy, I'm going to sound like a snob or a malcontent, but it's for a good cause...

I've got the G3X autopilot in the RV-9A, and I really do like it, but it has quirks. I don't know if any/all of these have been resolved (some have!) but here are some observations:
* The standard way of intercepting a course (like an ILS) is to establish a 40° intercept heading and then, when close, capture the course. Pretty standard. However, if you're already close to the course you want to track, there's no need to turn 40° to intercept -- you're already there! I've seen the autopilot fly the 40° intercept right through the desired course sometimes... not recently, though, haven't been in that situation.
* In a good crosswind, the autopilot doesn't quite get the needles centered, just almost. If I recall my control theory courses from fifty (gasp!) years ago, this can be fixed by adding another state to the lateral control algorithm. Alternatively, crosstrack offset and velocity can be used directly from the GPS. (I've got a patent on that).
* My standard "autopilot takeoff" technique, which I use on an instrument flight plan or practicing same, is to hand fly the takeoff and retract the flaps at 80 knots. (Taking off flaps up in the RV-9A gives a too nose high pitch attitude that can obscure the runway, especially a narrow runway. Ask me how I know...) Once flaps are up, I will then engage the autopilot and that engages pitch hold and roll hold. I can then adjust pitch with the trim wheel to get the airspeed or vertical speed I want as the plane accelerates. This avoids the transients that Todd was referring to. Once stabilized, I'll engage airspeed or vertical speed.
* I've found vertical speed and airspeed hold work just fine when they are engaged without a large initial offset.
* Garmin did make one much-needed improvement. Early on, the autopilot made all turns at 30° bank, regardless of airspeed. This meant that the turns could be well over standard rate, and when controllers are giving vectors, they expect the turns to be standard rate. I got into a p***ing contest with one of the Garmin engineers who said that there was no regulatory requirement to do what I suggested. I then asked him why their autopilot would not pass an instrument flight test. That was years ago, and I think Garmin has been much more responsive to customers since.
* The autopilot doesn't know to add back pressure entering a turn. The pitch guidance doesn't do anything until the plane has started to lose a bit of altitude. Fixing this would require the autopilot to add back pressure before altitude is lost, but the question is, how does the autopilot know how much to add? This level of sophistication is probably beyond what can be done in a low cost autopilot.

For all my squawking, what's impressive about the G3X autopilot is that it can work on a wide range of airplanes with so few adjustments that are set by amateurs. In a "real" autopilot, I'd expect more adjustments that are determined when the autopilot is certified for a particular airplane and then maybe tweaked at installation time -- I'm speculating there.

No, it's not perfect and there are tricks to get it to work well -- no help from the manuals, but that's another story -- but I'm so glad I have it. There's no comparison between sitting in the cockpit, checking uplinked weather and maintaining high situational awareness versus the bad old days of getting a weather briefing, launching into the weather and hand-flying, hoping that the clouds had paid attention to the forecast.

Last edited:
Autopilot settings

I have set my:

Min air speed limit 60 kt
Max air speed limit 180 kt
Torque limit 30%
Pitch servo gain 0.5
Vertical speed gain 0.5
Vertical acceleration gain 0.5
Air speed gain 0.5

This works very good.

Installation Manual - GDU 4XX Config and Post Install Checkout
Rev. AT Page 30-79

Good luck

Thank you for the replies. One thing I know for sure is that the suggested settings for the primary pitch and roll gains is way too strong. The stick moves like someone is yanking it quickly instead of a smooth move. I backed both off to .7 which is 1/2 of recommended and it flies just fine.

With that said, I have played with the accel gains in pitch to try to keep the autopilot from overshooting when entering IAS mode. My accel gain was set at 1 and I took it to 1.5. No difference. It works fine if you are within 10 knots of your target speed, but if you are indicating 150 and command a 110 knot climb the pitch quickly goes up to 15 degrees and then will overshoot by at least 10 knots and then overshoot the other direction even more with bigger oscillations if you let it go. Vertical speed climbs seem to work fine with the recommended settings. It also flys LPV approaches just fine.

I was thinking that maybe an IAS climb might need to start near your current speed and then slowly adjust the speed. If so, that is kind of a bummer. In the King Air with ProLine avionics we could be at 200 indicated and command a 150 knot climb and it slowly adjusted pitch to maintain a reasonable pitch attitude until it hit target speed.

Safety tip: Do not try to set the autopilot's gain while flying with the autopilot engaged. If you accidentally fat finger it and input some huge value like 10, you're going to be getting a scary wakeup call. Ask me how I know this.

Back