What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV9A Manual to Electric Trim Conversion

Trooper11040

Well Known Member
Has anyone done this to their 9A? I’m considering changing my trim to electric as I just did a big avionics upgrade with a g3x and GFC500 autopilot. I’d love the ability to have auto trim built into the autopilot…for those who have done this conversion, what was the estimated time to do the switch and the complexity of the install?

RV-4

I converted a RV-4.I suspect that the RV-6 is nearly the same. The mounting surface is different between the mechanical and electric trim. On the RV-4 there was a U channel for the mechanical trim, flat plate on the electric trim. Look at the plans on how to take out the old support and install the new. It may require removing part of the bottom skin. In my case, I had to rebuild the elevator for other reasons. You will also need a mounting surface for the switch and position indicator.

I just did this as part of my panel up grade on a 7. Replacing the manual in version on elevator is straightforward. Perhaps 3 hours at the tail. The hard part is bringing the wires to the panel.

I did my -9A 2 years ago as part of my G3X upgrade.
Purchase the electric trim package and trim tab attach horns from Vans. I used the RC Allen G405 grip and the RC12 control module.
I used a cutoff wheel to saw thru the old cable to remove it from the plane. Also saw off the "triangle" from the fuel selector cover. I used a Lowes panel plug to fill the 1" hole in the cabin floor.
Wire it with 3-wire shielded cable and some 20ga for power and ground. Configure and calibrate the G3X to show the trim tab position indicator and you're good to go.

RV7A Conversion

About six years ago I converted my RV7A from manual to electric trim. However I have a GRT EFIS and TruTrac autopilot system. I used the Pat Hatch UTRB control relay hub (mounted under the CP seat - it prevents pilot/copilot inputs from canceling each other out), Ray Allen trim modules, and to keep from having to change out how the trim tab operates, I used a 28” push/pull cable (Aircraft Spruce) to actuate the elevator trim tab via the control module mounted under the vertical stabilizer. Changed out the grips to seven button-Tosten military style grips with a “coolie hat” trim button. This grip also allows for push to talk, com1 freq swap, autopilot engage/disengage, transponder ident, and flap actuation (CP side has a com1/com2 swap button instead of flap switch) - all this routes through the UTRB relay underneath the CP seat.

Process took about a week to complete but has so far been trouble free - highly recommend using a control relay hub like the one Pat Hatch sells. Love it!

Last edited:
RV7A Conversion

About six years ago I converted my RV7A from manual to electric trim. However I have a GRT EFIS and TruTrac autopilot system. I used the Pat Hatch UTRB control relay hub (mounted under the CP seat - it prevents pilot/copilot inputs from canceling each other out), Ray Allen trim modules, and to keep from having to change out how the trim tab operates, I used a 28” push/pull cable (Aircraft Spruce) to actuate the elevator trim tab via the control module mounted under the vertical stabilizer. Changed out the grips to seven button-Tosten military style grips with a “coolie hat” trim button. This grip also allows for push to talk, com1 freq swap, autopilot engage/disengage, transponder ident, and flap actuation (CP side has a com1/com2 swap button instead of flap switch) - all this routes through the UTRB relay underneath the CP seat.

Process took about a week to complete but has so far been trouble free - highly recommend using a control relay hub like the one Pat Hatch sells. Love it!
Can up provide more info regarding the push/pull cable set up to control the trim tab? Maybe some pictures?

I did this last year when I updated the panel in my -9a. I mounted the ray allen trim module under my vertical stabilizer and and used a cut section of the manual trim cable to connect to the trim flap. The ray allen setup came with the clevis ends for the threaded rod - I stripped the casing off end of the manual cable and used jb weld to fasten the cable into the clevis to attach to trim module. Fixed the cable sheath to the fuselage tail and it works perfectly. I’ll see if can find pics.

Back