What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 tail specs

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Using the tailwheel as the point of measurement:

For lifting purposes, how much does the tail weigh?
To go horizontal (level), how high does the tail need to be raised?

Much heavier in the 3 point sitting than in level attitude. I think my RV8 was somewhere around 100 lbs on the ground and maybe about 65 pounds when the canopy side rails were even. Difficult to get started for an old guy, but once it’s up a ways not too bad. It was pretty high when level (for weighing). I never measured it, but my hand crank tail lift wouldn’t quite make it to level. Had to go the rest of the way by hand to set it on a stable platform with the scale.

I don't have the exact weight but from the weight and balance calculation, at the tail up level, it's 68#, but it is heavier with the wheel sitting on the ground. The main issue is leverage. You have to bend forward and lift using a lot of your back since you cannot stand directly over the rear wheel arm. However if the wheel is off the ground by over 12 inches, the the weight is reduced. To prevent me from bending my back, I tie a strap over the rear wheel and it allows me to lift the wheel in a more upright body position, and then once the rear wheel is off the ground, I can grab it with the other arm. By then it weight closer to 68#.

Each RV-8 will be different. Looking at the RV-8(A) construction manual section 14, (doc I have is 8-8s14r1NEW.doc 12/22/97) shows 44 pounds on the tailwheel when in the level position.

Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 12.02.23 PM.png

Old guys like me use the engine hoist to bring up the tail off the ground.

Cautionary note. NEVER raise the tail level if you have the wings jacked up at the tie down locations! It WILL NOSE OVER. If you have to have the whole plane raised & level, either tie down the tail well, or have provisions to weigh down the tail.

Raising the tail level with the plane sitting on the ground on its tires is ok.

This is a snippet from this thread:

I want one of these badly. It’s so much easier to work in the cockpit with the plane level. If you drop a screwdriver in a -8 in 3-point it’s gone. It either rolls back to the baggage compartment or falls in front of the center section that is the Bermuda Triangle of lost parts. You will be out of the plane with a mirror and flashlight looking for it. I Am a typical aging RV flyer and it’s a handful to pick it up. Put your name on the list so they can build them!

Feb 7, 2024
Fellow RVer’s

Sorry for the long delay in releasing information on the Tail-Lift development. I am pleased to let you know that the Tail-Lift prototype has completed testing and is ready to go into production.

The new design has several design improvements over the older Tail-Mate™ offered years ago. These include:

• A greater mechanical advantage for easier lifting
  • Wider stance for greater stability
  • Smooth belt operation
  • Improved roller design to decrease roller loading
  • Adjustable to accept larger tail wheels
  • Increased lifting load
Prices of materials and labor have increased over the years. I have spent a considerable amount of time and multiple iterations of the design to balance function, material costs, and manufacturability and shipping costs. The retail price is $500 plus shipping. Estimated shipping is ~$40.

I have been working with Blake Frazier owner of Flyboy Accessories (also the new owner of Cleaveland Aircraft Tools) to bring the Tail-Lift to market. We are determining the size of the initial production run. Blake has been collecting a list of customers who have expressed interest in the Tail-Lift. If you are interested in the Tail-Lift, please contact me at [email protected] and Blake at [email protected].

Thank you for your patience and continued support as we bring the Tail-Lift to market.

Attachments​

• 20240126_145904.jpg
    20240126_145904.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 160
  • Tail-Lift.pdf
    383.5 KB · Views: 126

Last edited:

Just measured mine. 29 inches from tailwheel axil to the floor to get the longerons level. Yours will vary but that should get you close.

Back