What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 canopy stops

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Besides full and half stop positions, how much of opening should be used to when cracking the canopy open?

To the specific question, I have no clue as I never had the need.

My rule is canopy half open for engine start and taxi if weather permits (never start with the canopy fully open - too much chance of the canopy bouncing around in the prop wash when fully open).

Canopy fully shut for run up, The canopy stays shut until after landing roll out.

Carl

I initially had just the half stop for opening the canopy for start so I could easily reach it to close after start for the run up & mag checks just like Carl stated above. Later I decided to add another stop at about 4 “ back for taxiing around in cooler weather. It’s amazing how warm it gets even in cooler temperatures with the canopy closed. I use the forward 4” stop much more than I thought I would.

I initially had just the half stop for opening the canopy for start so I could easily reach it to close after start for the run up & mag checks just like Carl stated above. Later I decided to add another stop at about 4 “ back for taxiing around in cooler weather. It’s amazing how warm it gets even in cooler temperatures with the canopy closed. I use the forward 4” stop much more than I thought I would.
I just just added a second stop at about 4". I put it there because its hard to see the halfway stop latch over my shoulder and I can't tell when the cam is in the right position in relation to the latch. With the second one farther forward (around where my shoulder is) I can easily see when the cam is in the right spot.

I also like to put a 2 or 3 inch long rubber hose in the canopy rail at the back to keep the canopy from opening too far.. it also keeps the canopy skirt from crashing into the empennage fairing, as well as the canopy handle from crashing into the back seat bulkhead.

I also like to put a 2 or 3 inch long rubber hose in the canopy rail at the back to keep the canopy from opening too far.. it also keeps the canopy skirt from crashing into the empennage fairing, as well as the canopy handle from crashing into the back seat bulkhead.
Tom do you have any pictures of this? I can’t visualize it

Back