What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Rudder Tip Barter

tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
Any RV7 (or 9) builders in the Kansas City area willing to sell or trade a fiberglass vertical stabilizer tip (VS-909)? I would be willing to buy it outright for replacement cost or replace it at the end of the month.

I just received a Vans order and have a kit coming the end of the month. I can't stand to place another order, wait another week, and pay another handling charge for this stupid part when nothing else is needed.

I'm starting to think I should just pop rivet these tips and move on. I've yet to determine my definition of "acceptable" fiberglass work.

Thanks,
Scott
7A Fuse

I think the Vans fibreglass tips need to be remoulded by the factory. They need an excessive amount of work to get them to fit perfectly. The sheetmetal is perfect in comparison.

As always

rv7 2003 said:
I think the Vans fibreglass tips need to be remoulded by the factory. They need an excessive amount of work to get them to fit perfectly. The sheetmetal is perfect in comparison.
This is historically been the case with Van's fiberglass parts since the RV-3 and is much better than it ever has been. Be happy with what you got. Overall the fiberglass parts fit well, and are so much better than they where on other models. Compaired to the pre-punch sheet metal the glass does not have the same fit, agreed. G

As always

rv7 2003 said:
This is historically been the case with Van's fiberglass parts since the RV-3 and is much better than it ever has been. Be happy with what you got. Overall the fiberglass parts fit well, and are so much better than they where on other models. Compaired to the pre-punch sheet metal the glass does not have the same fit, agreed. G

How are they not fitting?

Rudder tip was to short by 1/2 inch. Outer edges ie top of rudder tip and vert stab tip do not form a even curvature. They make a valley where they meet so both had to be built up.
Elevator tips need lots of glassing to get a neat finish on the leading edge of the counterweight.
Wheel spats are disasterous. The joint line is out by up to 1 inch. Probably took 30 hours of work to get them perfect. This could be avoided with better moulds.This wouldnt cost Vans more but would make building easier

Back