What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A Control Stick Issue

PHAMcRae

I'm New Here
Good afternoon folks,

First post here, but I have a quick question for some of you that may have a solution to our problem.

We had seen this type of console built before and decided to design and install one in our RV-6A, the only problem is with the current control stick, it mashes your right thigh if you want to get past half aileron (left thigh in the co-pilot).

I'm not entirely sure if this is because of the console being a bit larger, and/or that the sticks are slightly inset to the rudder pedals.

Has anybody purchased, or know of anyone who curves sticks to allow for more clearance in the middle of the pilot to allow for better movement?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!console.jpg
20240328_080854.jpg

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Not sure that you'll appreciate the ideas below after all the work that you've done.
Your second picture shows the seat cushion shoved over against the fuselage on the left side.
Opinion 1 - The stick, when vertical, should be centered in the seat cushion cutout. The seat cushions should line up with the metal seat back.
Opinion 2 - Forget where the rudder pedals are. They are offset towards the outside of the fuselage (Often, the ship's battery was installed on the cockpit side of the firewall between them). If I were to start over, I would modify the rudder pedals so that the inboard pedals were directly forward of the respective inboard knees.
Opinion 3 - Full displacement of an RV-6 stick in either direction requires the knees to be well spread.
Opinion 4 - A bent stick, as proposed will limit left aileron travel.
Opinion 5 - Consoles like this are more suited to wider fuselages.
You wanted ideas but you got opinions; sorry. My idea is to return the aircraft to the plans built configuration.

I see you need the height of the console to clear the throttle quadrant over the spar. Any alternation will basically require totally reworking the assembly, the current dimensions as is just don’t look workable.
Can you taper the shape to just slightly wider than the quadrant? Before doing the modifications it would be best to measure your minimum leg clearance required to reasonably work.
An example of possible quadrant thickness. image.jpg

Last edited:
I'm afraid your console is just too wide to work well with normal-sized occupants in an RV-6A. The photos below (they don't show the current panel but you get the idea) show the upper section of the console in my RV-6, this is the one that came with the kit and is detailed in the plans. Many, if not most, RV-6 builders eliminated it because they found even this slender console to be too confining. However, I like it and have been flying it since 1999. But I would not want to fly your console.

panel_07-05.jpg

servo_switch.jpg
fuse-89.jpg (37972 bytes)

Last edited:
I can now see why the plans do NOT have that setup or give it as an option.

Flying my RV-6 since 1997, I only made changes from the plans that would make service easier.

Most changes add little value, increase build time, increase cost, and or reduce payload.

Nothing will fix this issue short of removing the console. Not only is it in the way for controlling the aircraft, it will be a problem during any under seat inspection.

Alterations like this is best worked out with a cardboard mockup of what you imagine it to do. And then see if it fits.

It might work if you cut your legs off. I fly an RV-6A and would not even take that console if you gave it to me.
I'm 6'3" and even with the RV-14 mod I would still like more room for full deflection of the ailerons. You need to sit and apply full deflection and you will see the problem very fast.
My humble opinion is "It was a fun learning experience" And now it is over and time to remove it
But, hey my luck varies FIXIT

also how thick is that bottom cushion, up at the stick area?
I think the original plans for DIY cushions only called for an inch or so of foam at that point.

*** If some is good, and more is better, then too **** much ought to be just right. ***

AH Wait a minute... looking at your spar bolts, where is your aft splice plate?

Nevermind, I see that the splice plate wouldn't be visible in the photo as it is further inboard.

Last edited:
Heres a couple of photos of before and after of a minor panel upgrade, yes, its currently set up to drive from the right seat.
The before photo is not very good but the centre console hid an Expbus 2.
I'm 6ft and around 180lb, it prevented me getting full lateral stick.
The whole centre console is quite useful but does cramp the seats slightly, the vertical part does (just) allow me to get full stick.
It also makes access under the panel difficult, I can't get both shoulders easily past.
If I were to do it again I would leave out the vertical part, and probably the horizontal part as well.
You could also consider putting the fresh air vent in the panel - it works better there and gives more leg room.

Attachments

• Centre Console 1.jpg
    Centre Console 1.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Centre Console 2.jpg
    Centre Console 2.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 34
Hate to say it, but the center console looks like it is not going to work. Flying and servicing a -6A I see many problems. The cockpit will be cramped, not able to get full aileron deflection. If it is a slider, you will not be able to get to the inside of the firewall, brake master cylinders or many other things under there. Can’t access spar bolts without removing console. We have just a bare throttle quadrant below the panel. It gets in the way a little but tolerable.

Noticed the chrome sticks. Google Hydrogen Embrittlement : https://www.finishing.com/17/47.shtml Know of a stick breaking off in flight after chroming.

Last edited:
I have the same issue. This -6a was built in 1993, not sure when the EI oil & fuel guages were added. However...I'm now doing a full glass upgrade. The EI instruments are gone and the throttle and mixture knobs will move up to the panel. I included the draft panel layout to show the knob location. Also I'm 6'1, no way to get full stick deflection with two adults.
IMG_8474.JPG
newpanel.png

I'll add in another comment.
When I bought this RV-6A planning on a new panel.
The builder had added an 1 1/2" to the bottom of the panel. At 6'3" my shins hit the bottom of it if I was to shift around a bit.
I like my legs in one piece. Couldn't imagine what would happed if I was to smash into something solid when crashing.
When I replaced the panel there are no additions to the bottom and no center anything. IF I couldn't get it in the standard panel it wasn't going in.
AS is I have everything I could want in it now AND I can extend my leg to the other side if I want.
Center consoles may look cool but aren't functional In these little planes.
Gotta love the new glass panels, Cause they give you so much extra room to play with. Having an i-pad for back up is pretty nifty also
My luck varies FIXIT

Back