What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 6 tip up canopy

whpilot

I just finished up the canopy on my RV-6 tip up canopy. When I open and close it, it seems very flimsy side to side. Is this normal and is there any way to make it stiffer?

Thanks, Walt

Did you install either the wood stiffener or the RV-7 brace in/on the canopy front frame bulkhead?

In either case be sure you install guides at the base of the roll bar to prevent snagging the aft corner of the canopy on the roll bar which often breaks off the corner of the canopy.

The instructions have you add F/G support to the front canopy frame. I adapted the RV-7 canopy frame stiffener/brace on my 6 instead.

Flimsy canopy

I have a 6 and yes it is flimsy. When opening and closing, make sure to push toward the centre line as if to draw a line between the handle at the bottom of the canopy and the centre line of the canopy at the top. This makes quite a difference.

canopy

I just finished installing Vans canopy brace and it has made a big difference. Thanks for the advice.

Back