What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-15 vs Rans Outbound S21

Blw2

Well Known Member
know of any deep dive comparisons that anyone has done of these two models?
either here, youtube, or anything online?

otherwise, your thoughts?

If Vans wants to fly the 15 down here, I have an S21 to compare with.

S21 has less power and less wing area (at least I think it does). Not sure of weight of the 15.

S21 is in production----

I suspect the 15 has a larger cabin.

15 landing gear is shock absorbing, 21 gear is pretty stiff.

Last edited:
The S-21 is a very nice airplane, I enjoy flying it! A grown-up Kitfox in size, and great performer with the Lycoming! The RV-15 is a much larger and heavier airplane, with significant baggage compartment capability and load hauling ability - at least how it is specked today, and will be when they have a final design.

In other words, it’s like comparing a nice Toyota car to an SUV.

Paul

Rans S-21

know of any deep dive comparisons that anyone has done of these two models?
either here, youtube, or anything online?

otherwise, your thoughts?

I haven't seen any comparison videos. I've been scrutinizing these models for years and created a spreadsheet comparing several aircraft using almost 40 different criteria. The S-21 is a strong contender.

The S-21 pros/cons with respect to my mission (fast cruise, long paved runways, stable in gusts). Some numbers are old or estimates:
Pros:
  • Looks like an easy build. Estimate 900 hours.
  • Low price. $207k for the finished plane. This assumes $40k avionics and Rotax 916
  • Option for a fuel-sipping Rotax 915 iS or 916
  • Good climb rate: 1400 fpm.
  • Good range: My conservative estimate with lots of reserve is 648 nm for the S-21 vs 673 on the RV-15.
Cons:
  • Slow speed: 132 KTAS cruise
  • Low wing loading so probably not good in gusts or as an IFR platform. 12.8 lbs/sq foot for the S-21. The RV-15 is likely 12.X lbs/sq foot depending on the final numbers.
  • Plastic fuel tank behind pilot's seat, with electrical components under pilots seat. Looks like some S-21 builders have to deal with these tanks swelling or leaking. I've seen other airframers provide these spun plastic fuel tanks, but I have yet to see good data supporting their crashworthiness. A few drop tests would go a long way. Even Vans had issues with the RV-12 tanks.

As stated above, not a fair comparison, the RV-15 (looked at it at OSH) is a beast, and will be a backcountry plane. The S-21 (flew one for a year with a 915) is only backcountry capable. It is just not durable from what I felt. It was my buddies plane, I stopped flying it was soon as I started building my Bearhawk, but I tell you that plane is a mess from him flying it into gravel strips.

A couple of friends are building an S-21. They have experienced multiple head scratchers where the parts and plans simply don't agree. Factory support is >apparently< not of the kinder, gentler variety. Some of the choices in how the kit goes together are head scratchers for me - like the wingtips, which mount in a way that is much more challenging than necessary.

I'd bet the RV avoids most of those issues.

From an airframe standpoint, the RV is a substantially larger airplane. Probably more capable too, at least from a speed and lifting perspective. I wouldn't be surprised if the S-21 could operate out of shorter fields.

The S-21 I flew was an early factory build that had the 30’ wing, the production S-21 is a 28’ wing. A guy at my airport is building S-21, and the wing is noticeably shorter than the one I flew. Smaller wing is fast, and I would bet that was Rans reason, but the larger wing will fly slower and get into tighter spots. I took it into Marble Creek in Idaho, which is reasonably short.

A couple of friends are building an S-21. They have experienced multiple head scratchers where the parts and plans simply don't agree. Factory support is >apparently< not of the kinder, gentler variety. Some of the choices in how the kit goes together are head scratchers for me - like the wingtips, which mount in a way that is much more challenging than necessary.

I'd bet the RV avoids most of those issues.

From an airframe standpoint, the RV is a substantially larger airplane. Probably more capable too, at least from a speed and lifting perspective. I wouldn't be surprised if the S-21 could operate out of shorter fields.

I’m building an S-21 with the airframe pretty much complete. I have to agree that it’s a somewhat apples to oranges comparison. I’ve built three RVs and a couple of Rans Couriers. The -21 is a lighter aircraft and probably not the best choice for hard back-strip operations. That being said, it should work well for my needs.

With all due respect, I am a bit perplexed by the experience of Kyle’s friends. My kit has gone together very quickly and has been very straightforward. Rans uses a different means for their construction manual and plans but they’re still very easy to follow. My “head scratching” has been minimal. Likewise, I haven’t run into any substandard issues with factory support. They’re certainly not much different than with Van’s. Rans has posted numerous how to videos along with many construction photos. If I write an email question, which is my preferred method for both Rans and Van’s, I nearly always get a response by the next day. As far as the wingtips, the mounting method is novel but honestly not that difficult. AeroSport Products offers a very nice, albeit pricey, carbon fiber tip option. They mount in the same way as the factory tips. I mounted both my tips in 9.2 hours. That’s considerably less time than the tips on my -6, -8 or -10 projects. That’s just been my direct experience.

Back