What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 VOR Antenna

backcountry

Well Known Member
I’m thinking about adding a VOR receiver to my 2017 RV-12.
Present equipment G3X, Garmin 200 com, GTN 625 GPS.
Looking for ideas and the biggest one is the antenna installation.

I’m thinking about adding a VOR receiver to my 2017 RV-12.
Present equipment G3X, Garmin 200 com, GTN 625 GPS.
Looking for ideas and the biggest one is the antenna installation.

The IFR version of the RV-12iS has an installation design for the ant. on the top of the vertical stab.

If you've built an RV-12, you should be able to get the plans sections for the Garmin Avionics from your account on the Van's store.

That section may only be published for the RV-12iS, so it may not be accessible from the web store account of an RV-12 ULS builder.
If not, you can purchase the entire set of RV-12iS plans on a USB stick for $10, but before doing that you could ask someone in tech support if they can share just that section with you.

You can download the revised 12iS KAI section 42Pis-12is from Van's RV12is web page for support to see the parts and instructions for the VOR antenna install on the VS.

I installed mine several years ago, the only difference with 12iS install is I used a BNC bulkhead jack where they have a pass-through bushing for the antenna cable. I can remove the VS and just disconnect the antenna cable at the BNC connector. Nothing wrong with Van's design and may have less insertion loss than using a BNC connector in the cable run.

While I was running wires up the VS, I added power for a white position light aft of the antenna. You will have to remove the VS, rudder, and most likely the HS to run the coax antenna cable in the tail cone.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/service-information-and-revisions/42pis_12is/

John Salak
RV12 N896HS

Given VORs are being decommissioned all over, why do you want to add the VOR stuff? I might add a real nav later with an MFD and go GPS only, so I’m wondering. (Is it required?)

Glide Slope and Localizer for an ILS approach use the same antenna as the VOR, the signals are split by a diplexer.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

Also on a instrument check ride it requires 3 different types of approaches.
GPS is only one. Additional choices VOR, LOC, or ILS. One needs to be a precision approach.

The LNAV/VNAV is older special equipment used mostly by large aircraft to provide vertical guidance prior to availability of the LPV approaches.

I’d be interested if anyone has completed an instrument check ride with only a gps. So far I personally can’t find any.

The LNAV/VNAV is older special equipment used mostly by large aircraft to provide vertical guidance prior to availability of the LPV approaches.

I’d be interested if anyone has completed an instrument check ride with only a gps. So far I personally can’t find any.

Most GPS (TSO’d) receivers are also approved for many LNAV/VNAV approaches. Few of us use them because there is often an LPV with lower minimums.

This issue (can you do three ‘different’ gps approaches for checkrides) was supposed to be resolved many many months ago. Following a legal interpretation of the word ‘different’ FAA HQ in DC issued a directive to some sub-group to fix the PTS/ACS to allow gps-only aircraft to be used for instrument checkrides. But there has been no progress that I know of. One of the alphabet groups needs to call the administrator and ask him why his staff doesn’t do their work.

Last edited:
Must use two different kinds of navigational aids

I set up my 7 last year with an IFR GPS with the plan to use it for my checkride ... an IFR-legal, GPS only aircraft.

Recently we re-confirmed things with my DPE, and got the following response, that he got from our FSDO:

On 02/28/2022 the Office of the Chief Council (AGC-240) issued a memorandum rescinding two legal interpretations pertaining to instrument training requirements under 14 CFR § 61.65. Specifically, the memorandum clarified the instrument approach procedures that may satisfy § 61.65(d)(2)(ii)(C). Although the Instrument Rating – Airplane Airman Certification Standards (ACS) was referenced, it did not alter the testing requirements of Instrument Approach Procedures as specified in Area of Operation VI and Appendix 7 of the ACS.

The ACS directs the evaluator to test an applicant on three different kinds of approaches, consisting of one precision approach and two non-precision approaches, which must use two different kinds of navigational aids. Therefore, conducting three GPS approaches during an instrument rating practical test would not meet FAA-testing requirements.

This issue is not the kind of approaches (we can get 3 with GPS) but the number of different navigational aids.

Based on this guidance, I installed a GNC-255 into my G3X+GPS175 system, and now have cat whiskers under the tail, a VLOC nav receiver, and an additional comm radio. About +6 lbs to the W&B. Now I can shoot the ILS with the big kids.

Last edited:
VOR antenna

Bill,

I had been planning on using the Van's VOR antenna kit but like your under the tail method better. Would you share what and how you accomplished this?

Thanks,
John

I suppose you could throw an NDB receiver in and be done, in theory. The FAA is decommissioning stuff while requiring it at the same time? ... :mad:

I set up my 7 last year with an IFR GPS with the plan to use it for my checkride ... an IFR-legal, GPS only aircraft.

Recently we re-confirmed things with my DPE, and got the following response, that he got from our FSDO:

On 02/28/2022 the Office of the Chief Council (AGC-240) issued a memorandum rescinding two legal interpretations pertaining to instrument training requirements under 14 CFR § 61.65. Specifically, the memorandum clarified the instrument approach procedures that may satisfy § 61.65(d)(2)(ii)(C). Although the Instrument Rating – Airplane Airman Certification Standards (ACS) was referenced, it did not alter the testing requirements of Instrument Approach Procedures as specified in Area of Operation VI and Appendix 7 of the ACS.

The ACS directs the evaluator to test an applicant on three different kinds of approaches, consisting of one precision approach and two non-precision approaches, which must use two different kinds of navigational aids. Therefore, conducting three GPS approaches during an instrument rating practical test would not meet FAA-testing requirements.

This issue is not the kind of approaches (we can get 3 with GPS) but the number of different navigational aids.

Based on this guidance, I installed a GNC-255 into my G3X+GPS175 system, and now have cat whiskers under the tail, a VLOC nav receiver, and an additional comm radio. About +6 lbs to the W&B. Now I can shoot the ILS with the big kids.

Many years ago, the FAA redefined the requirements for demonstrating the 3 different approaches to allow for using a ground based flight simulator if the aircraft used for the flight portion of the test wasn’t capable of 3 different approaches so this would be another option if one was available and the applicant was proficient in using it.

I had been planning on using the Van's VOR antenna kit but like your under the tail method better. Would you share what and how you accomplished this?

I mounted a Rami AV-525 on the bottom of the tailcone under the HS on my 7. I built a doubler that picked up the bottom skin and the bulkhead in that area, and pop-riveted it into place. There was enough space via the inspection holes under the HS to get tools and the plate in without crawling into the tailcone, thankfully!

Then I had to run the coax to the receiver .. the hardest part since it requiered removing most of the floor panels to route it nicely.

This was the first time I had to cut into my nice paint job :mad:

The downside of the under the tail mounting is that 1) it's a bit of an eye poker down low and 2) gonna get messy on grass strips. Eye poking isn't too much of an issue for a taildragger; I'll remove it when I fly into Johnson Creek; ILS there is inop from what I understand....

Attachments

• IMG_0364.jpeg
    IMG_0364.jpeg
    893.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0365.jpeg
    IMG_0365.jpeg
    694.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0367.jpeg
    IMG_0367.jpeg
    337.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0369.jpeg
    IMG_0369.jpeg