What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Legacy - 38-09 Screws for Cowl Close-out Bracket

Eriselle

Hi VAF!

I'm working on my SLSA RV-12 Legacy and I took the lower cowling off. I noticed that some screws are missing from the F-1285 Cowl Close-out Bracket from section 38 page 09.

KIA 38-09 doesnt seem to call out what screws I'm supposed to be using. It does specify the screws for the nearby F-12118, and I'd be inclined to assume I'm supposed to use the same screw. Some supporting evidence for this is that the nut plates used on the F-12118 are the same as those used for F-1285, as can be seen on KIA 22-02.

On the other hand, the 6 screws I still have (of the 8 that are supposed to be there) for F-1285 seem to be *longer* than the screws I have for F-1285, so

I'm not sure if I'm missing somewhere that a different screw is called out?

Please see the attached image below.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-28 202709.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-28 202709.png
    164.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
They are all 1/2” #8-32 screws. Longer shouldn’t be a problem except taking longer to install and remove.

Attachments

• IMG_1260.jpg
    IMG_1260.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 71
They are all 1/2” #8-32 screws. Longer shouldn’t be a problem except taking longer to install and remove.

This is the 12iS manual, mine is the legacy. The part number for the screw in the image you included is slightly different than the one in the legacy manual. However, this does suggest it is even more likely it is actually intended to be the same screw. Thanks for the info.

I’m sure someone with the legacy 12 will eventually respond, but find it difficult to understand why they would be different.

I’m sure someone with the legacy 12 will eventually respond, but find it difficult to understand why they would be different.

The only thing that made me even feel the need to ask is the fact that the screws I have now aren't the same, but I agree, it seems very likely they are supposed to be the same.

This one of those cases of carefully reading and following the plans. Read step 7 very carefully.

Step 7: Install the F-1285 Cowl Bottom Close-out and attach the
bottom cowl to the close-out using the hardware called out in Figure 3.

Attachments

• IMG_2145.jpg
    IMG_2145.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 100
This one of those cases of carefully reading and following the plans. Read step 7 very carefully.

Step 7: Install the F-1285 Cowl Bottom Close-out and attach the
bottom cowl to the close-out using the hardware called out in Figure 3.

Dang! You are so right, this is absolutely the answer. Thank you so much, not just for the immediate information but for teaching me how to help myself better in the future.

Back