What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 landing accident at Oshkosh Thursday evening

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
At about 7 PM on Thursday, July 20, an RV-10 was involved in a landing accident on Runway 27 that included a fuel spill.

Being careful not to speculate: a competent observer estimated winds in the pattern to be 20+ knots at 300°, so there was a tailwind component on downwind and on base. He observed a number of airplanes that had their speed under control and landed successfully. Those that were fast did less well.

The accident airplane was observed to achieve high bank angles.

Speaking in generalities: don't be afraid to go around.

I saw it on the green dot live camera. They panned away right after it happened. His radio call said he got a flat or something from landing hard.

On another note, why can’t EAA just point a camera down the runway and leave it in one position showing the planes coming in and landing? I tried to talk Air Show Stuff to do it last year. Maybe they will this year. Panning one direction then back is really annoying and you miss everything.

Hope the 10 is easily repaired. It looked like a nice plane.

As a bona fide safety researcher, I’d appreciate the chance to interview the pilot, if he’s agreeable. Have him PM me, please, if you know him.

Back