What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 #42122

I've been lurking since 2015, never posted. Started building my RV-10 on March 10, 2022. Figured I probably should be more active considering how much I read threads here and that I am actually building now. Currently 361.7 hours into the build and working on the wings. Since the start I've documented my build on my YouTube channel:

and I have a build log that I made for Excel:

Feel free to drop by, watch a few on the more interesting videos, comment, leave a thumbs up, or subscribe. Currently, I have 58 videos up on just the build and several more waiting to be edited. I was planning to build quicker, but I am also working on my Masters in Mechanical Engineering.

Yesterday I just finished making by second pair of Long Wingbox J-stiffeners. I really wish that the plans didn't use the word nest in the direction. Overlap would have been a much better word choice. Also, wish I had read the Gotchas page for Tim Olsen's build. At least I seem to be in good company with several other builder/owners who have done the exact same thing. I'll post some pictures later.

This is from March 2020, we borrowed a truck and picked up the empennage from the local airport. If the truck went to my house, the shipping company wanted it to have a lift gate and charged extra. Also, the airport had a forklift in case we needed it. We backed the truck up to the shipping truck and carried the crate into the back of the pickup. I bought furniture dollies in case I over estimated how much weight the four of us could lift.
004.jpg

Man I miss long bed trucks.
007.jpg

At the house, we just picked it up and placed on the furniture dollies so I could move it around by myself as needed.
013.jpg

So it begins. I am not sure my son completely understood what he was looking at and what it would become.
036.jpg

March 14,2020: I clecoed the skin to the vertical stabilizer. For the first time something looks like an airplane part.

20200314_184707.jpg

Ten days later, March 24, I finished the part and took a obligatory part finished celebration photo with my kids.
20200324_183434.jpg

They helped build the EAA tables, even let them operate the miter saw (keeping both hands on the handle) while I held the wood for them. For the stabilizer, they helped measure pieces, remove the blue vinyl, and installed and removed clecos.

Last edited:
20200805_185950.jpg20200809_181322.jpg
I finished the rudder on day 50 and the elevators on day 53. I worked on both up to the proseal step so I could proseal both and the same time. Ex-wife (at the time she wasn't), kids, and parents were involved with these. It was great having someone to cleco while I put the proseal on, allowing me to focus just on mixing, applying, and clean up.

20200919_092800.jpg
The first time the horizontal stabilizer looked like a complete part.

20201108_103310.jpg
A cool inside picture to show my friends/coworkers what the internal structure looks like.

Back