What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rules flying to or over Canada

rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
I would like to make a trip and fly over Niagara Falls. If I go mostly direct from Lansing, I am over Canada much of the time. I can go around but it adds quite a bit of time and distance. I have read several articles and got info from AOPA but still unsure of a few things.

1. I know Basic Med is not accepted. Any chance that will change soon?
2. I believe I can fly over Canada as long as I dont land. Is that correct?
3. Does anyone have tips on flying there or airports? Is 1AG Niagara Falls Int. A good place to park for a night?
4. Any suggestion for hotel with a good view?

I can always go south around the lake but thought it would be fun flying over Canada. Thanks

If you are not landing in Canada, you are good to overfly Canada in route on an IFR flight plan for sure. Probably also VFR flight plan with flight following but you should check that!

Your are correct, you can overfly Canada.

Use Flight Following and the US controllers will coordinate with the Canadian controllers.

There is no ADSB weather in Canada but you are close enough to the US stations at 6000 to 8000 ft that you will receive them so you will see weather in Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo etc.

The controllers around Niagara Falls will even help you view the Falls in flight.

We've used Niagara Falls airport and got a shuttle to the Falls. Lots of hotels on both sides. Be sure to check if your visit is the same time as a Canadian holiday. The hotels will be full then we learned:(

Jim Butcher

Niagara tour

Use flight following for sure. No issue overflying. When you eat to
Buffalo approach ask for the “Niagara tour”. They will allow you to circle the falls below 3000’ for as long as you want and then report back in ready to proceed. If the weather is nice- best pictures you can get!

Thats great. Thanks for the info. I didnt know about the tour so that will be really cool.

Any thoughts on if Basic Med will be accepted anytime soon? I got Basic because it was easy but maybe worth just getting my med. There are lots of places I would live to visit up there.

Maybe it's changed in the last couple of months, but from what I've read, Basic Med pilots can't fly anywhere in Canadian airspace according to the FAA and Transport Canada, and can't fly outside of US airspace according to the FAA, unless the overflown country specifically agrees. It's a big economic issue on both sided of the Canadian border and there's a lot of pressure to change that as Bahamas, Dominican Republic, and Mexico have, but it appears that the FAA's refusal to recognize the Canadian Class 4 medical is playing a role in Canada's refusal to acknowledge Basic Med.

I would contact Transport Canada to get definitive (non-internet) guidance on overflying Canada, and the FAA to find out if it's legal to fly outside of US airspace.

Last edited:
On page 12 of this document is says "The Enroute Charge does not apply to flights between two points in the United States other than" then it lists a few examples of flying to Alaska and heavy planes. So it looks like the main requirement is to file a flight plan with Canada and state you are Overflying and not landing.

As for medical and radio license, Im not sure those apply to overflight. I guess I need to read some more of this exciting document!

https://www.navcanada.ca/en/customer-guide-to-charges-sep-2020-en.pdf

18 months ago, departing Bellingham,WA and heading up along Vancouver Island. I called and talked to the FAA, they said I had to tell contact in advance to say I was coming and a time window, then I simply told the tower on TO and they handed me to Victoria. I got a special squawk just before departure. I had all my bases covered in case of a landing emergency - passports, plane paperwork, radio license etc.

You might look at how this might play with your trip and talk to the FAA for your departing airport.

I got flight following the whole way, and had a book of frequencies just-in-case-of for the trip. Fun, helpful, bunch - - Nav Canada!!

Have fun Rock!!

Basic Med

Apparently AOPA is now trying a different line of attack. They have or will soon send a basic med proposal directly to the ICAO (right acronym? International group). Their thinking is that if ICAO endorses basic med, that Canada will feel pressure to do so, too.

According to AOPA pilot assistance, you need

1. File flight plan, note Canada overflight, no landing

2. Communicate with any US ATC facility prior to border crossing

3. Obtain discrete squawk code.

You probably should check with AOPA prior to your flight to get current rules.

Jim Butcher

Back