What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rudder pedal height

Rallylancer122

Well Known Member
For some reason I apparently have small feet, size 9.5. My Dad, who built the RV8 I now own, had big feet, size 12. We were/are both 6'2", go figure.

Anyway, I have to slide my feet up a couple inches off the floor to operate the brakes. It's not a big deal, but I don't have to do it in any of my other airplanes and it struck me today as to why I needed to do it in the RV8.

The pedals appear to be the stock vans adjustable pedal set, circa 1998. Wondering if anyone else has run into this issue and built a box to raise their heels or somehow else resolved it?

I suspect from your comments that you don't have carpeting installed. I recently installed my carpeting from Classic Aero. While I was expecting padding I was a little surprised how thick the padding was. It all works fine for me though. With the carpeting and the padding installed it probably raises the "floor" almost and inch. This could be an improvement for your "problem" and the carpeting isn't too expensive either.

I would think that is a good thing. I found if I don't rest my heals on the floor I have a tendancy to ride the brakes a little during taxi. I did transition training in an RV where he had put rudder extensions on the, but not to extend the rudders, more of a way to keep feet off the brakes when not needed.
I did have some one give me some advice that I should taxi, T/O and land with duck feet. Pull my feet off the floor use the sides of my feet on the rudder up rights and the insides of my feet for the brakes. I fly a tail dragger. Still figuring things out though as I have a grand total of 2 hours in my RV.

Back