What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Right and left elevator counterbalance weight?

danlh

I'm New Here
In the plans for the elevator counterbalance weights it indicates the dimensions for the weights, but does not mention if there should be a left and a right. Seems like there should be mirror images for each side.

In the plans for the elevator counterbalance weights it indicates the dimensions for the weights, but does not mention if there should be a left and a right. Seems like there should be mirror images for each side.
They can be used for either side. Mine were Pre - SB-00043 so one half of a side was shaved down. I paired one set of inside and outside as A, the other as B after shaving. Both "sets" were finished at 1130 gm , so about 2.5# each.

So you did a mirror image of the drawing for the inboard and outboard of each elevator? I’m speaking of the Circumference dimension, not what is shaved off the flat side.

So you did a mirror image of the drawing for the inboard and outboard of each elevator? I’m speaking of the Circumference dimension, not what is shaved off the flat side.
Yes. Same dimensions all 4 items. Just make sure the countersink is opposite of the raised material left on each weight when shaping the material. (in other words, match the insides together for each set, then mark for cutting top/bottom slices. The heavy aluminum rasp did a great job on the bulk of top/bottom material, then finer rasp to finish. Don't try a hacksaw, it will plug the teeth. Here, pictures are worth more than my rambling -

IMG_8371.jpeg

IMG_8372.jpeg

IMG_8370.jpeg

Back