What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacing baggage door lock with something that doesn't lock?

moespeeds

Well Known Member
Friend
I have the run of the mill barrel style lock on my RV8 baggage door. Is there anything out there that I can replace the barrel lock with, that doesn't lock? I hate messing with keys, and I'm not concerned with anyone getting in there.

I know I could do camlocks but not interested in drilling any new holes into the already painted door.

Cut part of the round end of the key off and leave it in the lock.
Umm, but then there's nothing to grab to turn the latch mechanism... you've locked yourself out as the round key end is the handle to open/close. JonJay has the right idea above.

lock

It was a while ago but I got one from McMaster Carr that is exactly the same but has a straight slot instead of a key. I use a coin (quarter) or side of the big end of a key to turn it.

Umm, but then there's nothing to grab to turn the latch mechanism... you've locked yourself out as the round key end is the handle to open/close. JonJay has the right idea above.

I said part of the round part. That leaves you something to grab.

I would make a knob that the half round fits it. Perhaps tear drop shaped.

Cut a slot in the knob and JB Weld it in place.

Last edited:
Trivia...did you know an RV-8 baggage door closes automatically with increasing speed, and pops open again as the aircraft slows, much like an big AOA indicator?

Compared to your reference RV8, mine would be flying around open all the time :eek:

Trivia...did you know an RV-8 baggage door closes automatically with increasing speed, and pops open again as the aircraft slows, much like an big AOA indicator?

I believe it, but can't quite work out how you calibrate it to display differently with the flaps up and flaps down! :D

Hmmmmm, there has to be a story on how this knowledge was gained. Do tell.

I did it on purpose. You know, as an experiment. Yeah, yeah, that's it, an experiment...

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_2057 Dec. 25 07.16.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2057 Dec. 25 07.16.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 8
I am thinking of placing some wool strings on top of the baggage door and see how the strings behave at normal speed and low speed.

vibration

I have to apply pressure on the door to get the rods to line up in the lock position, so it has constant load and the latch goes just over center. I used fiberglass rod instead of the aluminum tube. One can put a nice ball end on it and position the pieces so when its closed the rods are flexed to maintain closed pressure. Coming loose may be a concern for a door that fits "to good".

Back