What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacement Fasteners

I am in the process of creating a list of replacement spare screws for my RV-8. The Phillip's heads are starting to show the wear from being run in and out so many times. Countersinks of 82 and 100 degrees are available. Which angle would have been used? Thanks in advance for the help.

TORX screws

Bill anytime I remove a phillips screw I replace it with a Torx screw! I dont want to be drilling out stripped phillips screws!
For the 100deg flat heads I get them from Micro fasteners and the pan heads from Albany county fastener

Bill anytime I remove a phillips screw I replace it with a Torx screw! I dont want to be drilling out stripped phillips screws!
For the 100deg flat heads I get them from Micro fasteners and the pan heads from Albany county fastener

Ditto for me.

Can someone link or post the hardware designation for the equivalent torx screws? I am somewhat challenged when it comes to deciphering screw nomenclature. Thanks!

Search for machine screws and scroll down for torx head screws:
https://www.mcmaster.com/products/machine-screws/18-8-stainless-steel-button-head-torx-screws-9/

These are button head screws.

Look for 6-32 or 8-32 size screws. Most panel screws are 8-32. Smaller screws in the #6 size or 6-32 screws. You have to search the website for the length.

Important note: all these are non-structural because the shanks are fully threaded. If you need to replace structural screws, then order the correct size from Aircraft Spruce.

Picture from the website for reference:

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    47.1 KB · Views: 52
Back