What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Remote Mounting Stratux

Doug Eves

Well Known Member
I am remote mounting this unit on top of my battery box connecting it to ship power and my unused blade antenna that used to be for my transponder. (Have TailBeaconX now) Was going to attach a remote gps that “bad dog” sells on Amazon when I suddenly thought why does this thing even need a gps since my iPad has one already. Also my AV30’s receive position info from a Garmin I have mounted. I contacted support and asked them. They said it needs gps to function. Today I removed the internal gps from the stratux and saw no difference at all on my iPad. All traffic appears normally with or without the stratux gps. This test was done from inside my home. Am I missing something?

Better test would be in-air. I get very poor GPS performance with my iPad up in cruising levels.

I originally built my stratux without gps. At that time I was using Avare rather than foreflight. Without a GPS Avare would show msl altitude for traffic. I'm not sure but I would have presumed Foreflight would be the same.

Back