What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RE: Panel Finally Fired Up!!!!!

fstringham7a

Well Known Member
RE: Panel Finally Fired Up!!!!!

Just checked my panel wiring this afternoon. It all checked out. Even Com1 and 2 worked....so my jack wiring was a success. Pays to be a knuckollhead!!!! It is complete except for the Dynon HS34 and either a Whiskey or Vertical Card Compass. My problem is I just don't want to cut another hole in the powder coated panel......... :eek:

I also have a question....How does a technically challenged computer user get a picture to come up in the forum and not just the address.......

url]

Frank @ SGU RV7A wiring almost complete :)

Last edited:
fstringham7a said:
snip...
How does a technically challenged computer user get a picture to come up in the forum and not just the address.......

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3914/rv7a0825007014vo2.jpg

Looks great, Frank. In answer to your picture question, look about halfway down in this document: http://www.vansairforce.net/articles/ImagesInForums/images.htm
Also, you'll want the picture around 800 pixels or less beforehand so that it doesn't blow the word wrapping off.

Best,
dr

WOW! Nice panel. You say it is powder coated. Is it a matt black like it looks in the picture? I assume the S34 is going on the left of your EFIS?

I also like your Dynons. I have a D100 and a EMS D10. Still in the boxes. Is that a Garmin 530 and SL30? I am debating on starting with the SL30 and adding the 430 or 530 later.

RE:Matt Black

cbnank said:
WOW! Nice panel. You say it is powder coated. Is it a matt black like it looks in the picture? I assume the S34 is going on the left of your EFIS?

I also like your Dynons. I have a D100 and a EMS D10. Still in the boxes. Is that a Garmin 530 and SL30? I am debating on starting with the SL30 and adding the 430 or 530 later.

GNS 430 / SL40 I was going with an SL30 until Dynon came out with the HS34 that will interface with the GNS 430 .......plus

It is a Matt Black powder coat....$40.00 :D

Frank @ SGU RV7A wiring just about complete

fstringham7a said:
Just checked my panel wiring this afternoon. It all checked out. Even Com1 and 2 worked....so my jack wiring was a success. Pays to be a knuckollhead!!!! It is complete except for the Dynon HS34 and either a Whiskey or Vertical Card Compass. My problem is I just don't want to cut another hole in the powder coated panel......... :eek:...

Is a whiskey or vertical card compass really necessary when you already have a compass built into the D100? You don't have any other back-up instruments, why add a compass?

BTW, I like the panel layout and avionics choices.

Last edited:
RE:WHAT...they could be reliable

Doug

Thanks for the imput. I guess my need to please others.....the old avionics school gang.....nearly forces me...... to put a bunch of round dails around all those rectangular electronic boxes.....NOT. My father in his cars would always put a compass on the dash and even as a kid I thought, "when we going off road".

I plan on having a fully charged PDA avionics software system as the final back up IF and When this whole panel goes dark.........Haaaa but theres the rub.....my round dial gang would say, " ya but WHAT IF the PDA goes dark" ya right. I guess I need to build a Space Shuttle similar back up of back up of back up to soothe the feelings/interest/and care for my safety round dail friends.

I remember as a chemistry school teacher way back in the early 70's that every student must buy/learn to use/ slide rule. But then some wise guy came in with a six function electronic calculator. Nope it won't cut it I said...WHAT IF THE BATTERIES DIE. He caved in and got a slide rule but he would continue to use his calculator as a back up.........Man that sucker never died. Well you guessed it with in just a few short years my slide rule was put out to pasture in exchange for the new fancy calculators of the day.
My next problem was the ever expanding memory of these machines. What a storage device for potential test question answers/formulas/and notes. Man am I glad I am a retired/but not tired high school chemistry teacher.

Will I am open for advice. Just like home if I want to think or say something I WILL ASK MY WIFE/CHILDREN/GRANDCHILDREN WHAT TO THINK, BELIEVE,AND SAY :eek: Realize I have a degree from the Rodney Dangerfield School of Life. Boy I am just a poor little boy or what......

Doug thanks for bringing me back to my senses...............

Frank @ SGU RV7A Wiring about complete!!!!!!!!!! :D

Last edited:
Frank,

I have been considering a glass panel upgrade for the RV-6 that I purchased, but I'm still thinking about building a 7 instead. In either case I'll use a modular panel setup to make future changes easy to plan and implement. If I decide to build I'll save the new panel for the new plane, but if I upgrade, this is what I'll do:

Panel028a.jpg

Notice that there's no compass, but I decided to use some of my existing instruments for backup (I still like having a few steam gauges).

Here's one of the things I like about the Dynon setup. You can do this:

Panel028b.jpg

Or this:

Panel028c.jpg

Here's my planned upgrade path. First, a Trio autopilot.

Panel028d.jpg

Then a Garmin radio and transponder upgrade.

Panel028f.jpg

And last but not least, a new inflight entertainment system.

Panel028h.jpg

Notice the common choices of the equipment we decided to use? Didn't want to hijack your thread, but I thought we were thinking along similar paths so I thought I should share my plans - and we all know how plans sometimes go...

Doug,

The last panel you posted is very similar to mine. You can drop the CD player and put in a stereo intercom. Then you can either play your XM radio through it or plug in an iPod. At this point I believe CD's have a limited life expectancy.

Cut the hole where you have your slip ball but block it off and call it future enhancement. You can add a simple slip ball under the Dynon D100 as I did.

Just my $.02.

Doug, This is like the game that I play with my kids (1 and 4) where the object is to find the two that are simular.

Back