What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question about my RV8

edneff

Well Known Member
Hi folks,
Doing my first condition inspectiion on my RV-8, bought, not built. I previously owned another RV-8 and this one is a little different.

The Fuse/Gear leg fairing is not coming off. It is a wrap around design on (I believe) Grove gear legs. There are 3 self tapping type screws only on the underside (one is missing in the picture) which I removed but it still seems firmly attached at the leading edge. Any suggestions about how to remove it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ed

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 8.38.28 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 8.38.28 AM.png
    597.6 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Hi Ed,
The link for the photo is not working (for me)
You can use the "paperclip" icon, then the browse button in the popup window to select and upload a photo directly from your computer.

Concerning the gear/fuselage fairing, best practice would have you check the gear bolt torque at annual inspections as you might know. Find a way to remove those fairings...

Attachments

• Capture d’écran, le 2023-10-24 aÌ€ 10.47.55.png
    Capture d’écran, le 2023-10-24 aÌ€ 10.47.55.png
    37 KB · Views: 22
After removing the three screws, can you get your fingers in there and pry it open? Might have some double stick tape, or it’s just a tight fit.. it should pry open and slide down..

Mine are the same as yours.

Pull the screws, or rivets, hard to tell from the photo. Then just pry it apart at the seam and pull it down the leg. You should be able to pry it open enough to get it off the leg at some point if you need to.

Unlike yours, mine has a hidden screw on the trailing edge of the gear fairing. You have to remove the wing-to-fuselage fairing to even see the screw. Not sure this will help, but maybe. Good luck.

Chris

Hey- Just curious, but I didn't see "A&P" in your signature line. How are you doing the condition inspection on an airplane you didn't build?

I thought you had to have a repairman certificate or an A&P to sign off the condition inspection on an EAB?

You are absolutely correct, I am not "signing off" the condition inspection.

I'm doing what most folks with purchased RV's are doing: doing the work and having an A&P/IA supervise and inspect and sign off on the condition inspection.

Hey- Just curious, but I didn't see "A&P" in your signature line. How are you doing the condition inspection on an airplane you didn't build?

I thought you had to have a repairman certificate or an A&P to sign off the condition inspection on an EAB?

Thanks for all the suggestions. Given how tight the fairing fits, I was concerned about cracking it or breaking it pulling it off.
Ed

Back