What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Proseal questions

calvid

I haven't worked with Proseal yet, but I'll need some soon for my RV-14A elevator build (specifically the recent service bulletin). I have a couple of questions:

1) Vans sells 1 ounce for for $56 (MC-240-B1/2) or 3.5 ounces for $21 (MC-236-B1/2). Why would I pay more for less product? What am I missing?

2) Is there a minimum temperature for applying Proseal? I'm working in an unheated garage (low 40's these days) and I'm wondering if I need to wait for spring for the Proseal step.

Thanks in advance.

I suggest getting the quart can. You will need it for many things during the build. Keep it in your freezer between use - it will last years for such applications.

Buy fresh proseal when ready to assemble the tanks.

Carl

Oh, interesting. I saw they said "4 month shelf life" and I assumed that was in the freezer. Good to know. Also the quart is in stock but the others aren't.

The smaller sizes came in tubes that go into an applicator gun that Van's sells, but I guess you can get similar tubes elsewhere and fill them yourself.

I haven't worked with Proseal yet, but I'll need some soon for my RV-14A elevator build (specifically the recent service bulletin). I have a couple of questions:

1) Vans sells 1 ounce for for $56 (MC-240-B1/2) or 3.5 ounces for $21 (MC-236-B1/2). Why would I pay more for less product? What am I missing?

2) Is there a minimum temperature for applying Proseal? I'm working in an unheated garage (low 40's these days) and I'm wondering if I need to wait for spring for the Proseal step.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure about a minimum, but IIRC, cure time doubles for every 10* below 70* Will take forever to set up at 40* Pretty sure you can up the activator percentage a bit to accelerate cure. check the TDS. You can apply the stuff in the garage and bring it into the house for curing. That si what I do when doing tank repairs in winter garage. Convenient as pot life goes way up.

At some point it completely stops curing. THey sell frozen, pre-mixed proseal, so there is a point that it fully stops working.

Larry

Last edited:
Oh, interesting. I saw they said "4 month shelf life" and I assumed that was in the freezer. Good to know. Also the quart is in stock but the others aren't.

The smaller sizes came in tubes that go into an applicator gun that Van's sells, but I guess you can get similar tubes elsewhere and fill them yourself.

I adhere to the shelf life rule for sealing tanks, not for gluing things. For gluing I keep the can in the freezer and use as needed.

The tubes provide an advantage when building tanks (I recommend looking at the Van’s tank build video). No - you do not fill your own tubes.

Carl

I adhere to the shelf life rule for sealing tanks, not for gluing things. For gluing I keep the can in the freezer and use as needed.

The tubes provide an advantage when building tanks (I recommend looking at the Van’s tank build video). No - you do not fill your own tubes.

Carl
I have always kept mine in the fridge and as Carl said, I used a fresh can for the tank but I can not tell the difference using the old can that was in the fridge.

Not sure about a minimum, but IIRC, cure time doubles for every 10* below 70* Will take forever to set up at 40* Pretty sure you can up the activator percentage a bit to accelerate cure. check the TDS. You can apply the stuff in the garage and bring it into the house for curing. That si what I do when doing tank repairs in winter garage. Convenient as pot life goes way up.

At some point it completely stops curing. THey sell frozen, pre-mixed proseal, so there is a point that it fully stops working.

Larry

I recommend if you seal your tank during cold weather, bring the tank inside your bathroom or an enclosed space and heat it up with the space heater. Let it sit for about 24 hours to ensure everything has cured.

I would not order b1/2 (30 mins cure) if I had not used it before. It will go off before you’ve even got it in the syringe / bag / tube etc.

Order the b2 (2 hours cure)

This is how much sealant i used on my -14 to do my tanks. However, if you are ordering now you’ll need to order again for your tanks as it would be expired by then.
https://tasrv14.blogspot.com/p/fuel-tank-sealant-usage.html?m=1

Thanks all, I appreciate the advice. Trent, I hadn't come across your blog before but it looks like a great resource. Lots of great detail there.

Proseal

I would not order b1/2 (30 mins cure) if I had not used it before. It will go off before you’ve even got it in the syringe / bag / tube etc.

Order the b2 (2 hours cure)

This is how much sealant i used on my -14 to do my tanks. However, if you are ordering now you’ll need to order again for your tanks as it would be expired by then.
https://tasrv14.blogspot.com/p/fuel-tank-sealant-usage.html?m=1

What Trent ^ said. By the slow stuff. Buy a quart. Keep it in the chiller till needed. Pay close attention to the mix rate. 10:1. It's cold in the mountains so I tend towards a little hot. 10:1.5 or so. Bring the piece inside to cure
Personally, I don't see a need for a special applicator. If you need an applicator, buy a bunch of 60ml catheter tip syringes. Transfer the product. Drop it into a caulk gun and go to town. Easy peasy.

Just a note . . .

Larry

10 degrees is correct but it is in Kevin or Centigrade, not F.

Back