What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PPE for Akzo

mweidman

Hello all - what are the respirators and PPE you all are using for spraying Akzo in a paint booth? I'm down a rabbit hole looking at very expensive PAPR systems and think I need to re-calibrate on exactly what I need to be safe spraying indoors.

A good mask and lots of ventilation

I think the key is to eliminate as much of the overspray and fumes from the space with some kind of spray booth or fan. Something that will generally pull the vapors away from you and exhaust them out of the space. The mask becomes a secondary line of defense.

I built a DIY spray booth using a blower out of an old kids bounce house. Lots of air draw and the motor brushes, cooling and sparks are not inside the blower housing. There's a chance of explosion with the right type and amount of vapor. I put it on wheels so I can use it in the driveway when weather permits.

I'm using a 3M mask with the organic cartridge which I think is what's needed but if not someone please let me know. I can't smell the fumes at all and it's comfortable for long spray sessions. Apparently the filters have a useful life and need to be changed out. If you keep the mask in the bag where the filters are not exposed to room air, apparently they last longer.

Attachments

• IMG_4602.jpg
    IMG_4602.jpg
    474.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4555a.jpg
    IMG_4555a.jpg
    441.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4567.jpg
    IMG_4567.jpg
    583.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4568.jpg
    IMG_4568.jpg
    568.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4594.jpg
    IMG_4594.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4596.jpg
    IMG_4596.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 58
Hobby Air

I prefer to have fresh air. Hobby Air provides a flow of fresh air. For the cost, it's hard to beat.
The rest is personal preference. Tyvek suit, gloves, hood, etc.
I usually use the Hobby Air while spraying then switch to a 3M with #60926 filters for handling or cleaning. The hose gets in the way around the shop.

3M 6900 full-face respirator with 3M 6059 ABEK1 organic vapour and 3M 5P71-6 particle filter cartridges. Keep them sealed when not in use, change them regularly based on both usage time and storage time.

Anest Iwata lightweight hooded jacket with black nitrile gloves.

Used with a paint booth similar to David's, although I installed a couple of bilge blowers for extraction, which supposedly are explosion-proof.

If you can smell it when you are spraying, you don't have good enough protection! I used a 3M respirator and sprayed outside.

My setup and I still don’t want to use chromates. For me it’s just not worth the risk. I use etch single pack. I’m assuming the aircraft will be around many years as it will be in a hangar and do maybe 100 hours a year. I’ll use acf 50 once a year.
I have a small booth and smell nothing in it. Still I’m a bit concerned about chromates.

Attachments

• BF65A291-2C98-454A-8301-7018031454DA.jpg
    BF65A291-2C98-454A-8301-7018031454DA.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 59
  • C2A32540-E12D-4557-A1E1-364BD9435E0C.jpg
    C2A32540-E12D-4557-A1E1-364BD9435E0C.jpg
    417.6 KB · Views: 78
Other thoughts

As a follow up, if you haven't purchased a spray gun the 3M Accuspray 2.0 system makes handling paint material so easy. The cups and liners can be tossed after you use them and makes for less exposure to the primer, solvents etc.

I also purchased two of these.

I store parts A and B with the mix mates on the can so less exposure to vapors when mixing and pouring. Spin the agitator with a drill, pour the desired amount in the disposable cups using the spouts and you are good to go.

As a follow up, if you haven't purchased a spray gun the 3M Accuspray 2.0 system makes handling paint material so easy. The cups and liners can be tossed after you use them and makes for less exposure to the primer, solvents etc.

I also purchased two of these.

I store parts A and B with the mix mates on the can so less exposure to vapors when mixing and pouring. Spin the agitator with a drill, pour the desired amount in the disposable cups using the spouts and you are good to go.

Same setup here (or close). Mixing mate lids are the way to go. I use the PPS system (similar to the acuspray I believe - but maybe not quite as “one step”cleanup). Love the setups. Works great. For PPE I use a Tyvek suite, basic latex gloves, and a hobby air hood. Maybe overkill, but works great.

3M PPS

I also use the 3M PPS ver 1.0, 200 micron
I prefer ver 1.0 over the new version. Measure right into the cup.
For mixing, a paint stick works fine.
For measuring, buy a bag of 50ml catheter tip rubberless syringes from Grainger. If you don't want to clean, toss the paint syringe. The viscous fluids are easy to measure with the plunger removed and a finger held over the tip.
Ask the pharmacist for a few smaller syringes for the small quantity stuff like fish eye drops or reducer. Same procedure. Pull the plunger and hold a finger over the tip.
Stir the sprayable mix with a tounge depressor craft stick.
I have an epoxy/paint calculator on my blog. It's pretty accurate and easy to adjust to your style. I rarely throw out more than a few tablespoons.

Back