What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Powder coating aluminum main landing gear

bbaggerman

I have a lot of corrosion and flaking paint on my main landing gear on my RV-12. I am thinking about sending the gear legs out for clean up and powder coating. I think the powder coat process is usually about 375 degrees for 30 minutes. I am worried about this changing the heat treatment of my landing gear.

Any thoughts about powder coating landing gear? Any better ideas for a durable finish that will prevent corrosion?

I have the steel main landing gear legs powder-coated on my C180. I am unhappy with the process. They used proper preparation including primer, and still there are small chips in the paint from gravel debris. Where the paint chips, it exposes the bare metal.

I am never powder-coating anything again - I've had other problems with the stuff on aluminum parts.

I recommend a good two-part paint.

Landing gear

Sadly, no one will see them so I'm with Dave.
Sand and repaint. Preserve the white so it's easy to identify cracks.

Not starting a debate, just laying out an option.

Cerakote is very strong; talking the original baked-on process/product.

It can take thousands of violent cycles on firearm actions. They have a new cold process but I have no experience with it though I am going to get their sample kit and play with it.

Just an option

Suggest a careful clean up with abrasive pads/discs and paint (epoxy primer and 2 pack top coat) is the best method.

Back