What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pictures from 2009 Texas RotorFest

thallock

Well Known Member
For those of you who may be interested in the Mazda Rotary engines, we had a little gathering of Rotorheads here in Austin last week. I have posted my pictures of the 2009 Texas RotorFest, hosted by Dennis Haverlah, at his home on Breakaway airpark. The event was a great success, and we even had a new world's record: eight rotary powered aircraft in one place. I heard that the previous record was seven.

The link is http://www.trv7.com, click on the Rotor Fest 09 menu entry (you may have to hit the refresh button if you have been there before).

Cheers,
Tracy.

Last edited:
Rotary RV10?

Tracy,
What can you tell about the RV10 with the rotary that was there? Looks to be a 3 rotor that is supercharged - not a stock configuration for that engine if I am correct. Has it been airborn yet or still in the build phase?
Thanks,
Bill

I'm not Tracy,

But,
It's a Renesis (RX-8) 2 rotor. Non-turbo in the car. 10/1 compression; I didn't think to ask whether he changed to lower compression rotors, but I don't think that he did. The supercharger is an automotive aftermarket unit, Eaton, I think. He has lots of ground hours & a few air hours; he flew it to the Rotorfest (within his test area).

BTW, the actual 3rotor engines *were* all turbocharged in the automotive application, IIRC. I don't think that any were ever sold by Mazda here in the USA, but some have been imported by individuals & there are quite a few of the engines here. There was a Lancair on the field with a non-turbo'd 3 rotor.

Charlie

Thanks Tracy!
That's an inspiration for me. I've got some ground running time on mine, and I'm now working on the airframe again.
Thanks for the detail pics, I need them!
Scott

Adds new meaning to the term "complex" doesn't it?

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

The cluttered look pretty much depends where one places the radiators and hoses. On lycs, most of the clutter is hidden under the air ducting, in a rotary when the rad is placed under the engine, it moves a lot of the clutter out of sight and (improves air flow too, I think). When rads are placed in front or on the side, it gets a bit tight.

Bill,

I think Charlie knows more about the particulars of Bobby Hughes' RV10 Renesis installation than I do, so I don't have much to add. I talked to Bobby a few weeks ago, and he may be thinking about replacing it with a 3-rotor sometime in the future. I think he was hoping for 220-250HP, but feels like it is closer to 200-210HP right now. He probably has one of the least crowded rotary installations that I have seen, due to the amount of space in the RV-10. Even adding a 3-rotor engine would probably not make it much more crowded.

Bobby is currently dealing with some tuning issues that are related to his electric constant speed prop in combination with the ECU. He flew the RV10 over to the RotorFest from Lockhart next to Mark Steitle in his Rotary-powered Lancair, and he had to tell Mark to slow down near the end. His cooling is really good, but I think the temperature of the oil coming out of the gearbox is a little high, so he didn't want to push it too hard. His is a very nice installation.

Scott,
Glad the pictures may be useful to you. I find that most of the guys doing an alternative installation either tend to not do a website, or do not take enough pictures. I think John Slade has an outstanding website for his Cozy rotary installation, but there's just not enough pictures of the things that I want to see. Hopefully, with all eight installations at one event, I was able to get enough different shots to be of use for anyone wondering about different ways to do things.

John,
Complexity is just a large number of simple things in tight quarters. Probably not much more complex than a lyco installation, just a few more hoses, and those funny "finned" things. The engine core is really compact.

Tracy.

Back