What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OT: near San Jose hangar?

jcaplins

Well Known Member
slightly off topic....

What are the chances of finding a hanger for rent anywhere near San Jose, CA? slim to none? or better than I expect?
Anywhere from Buchanon (KCCR) to San Jose?
If one could be found, what kind of price to expect?

(standard T-hangers, 40' door. ~1035 Sq'...)

Thanks,

I just spoke to the airport operations supervisor at RHV who also oversees the hangers at South County Airport (E16).
Christopher A. Nucci – (408) 929-2256

There’s a waiting list that requires a $579 deposit and will take anywhere from a few months to no more than a year get into.

They have 9 sizes that range from $400 to $900 a month; T-Hangers go from $400-700, rectangles from $700-$900.

You might also look into a sub-lease from a FBO or private owner for less money and possibly no wait (that’s what we have). We’re paying $270 to share a large rectangle that houses a Swick-T, a RV-6A and our RV-4.

I have no idea what the costs are like in the Netherlands, but we’re pretty expensive compared to many areas in the US.

Last edited:
San Jose Hangars

Right now, there appear to be hangars available at Reid-Hillview, however they are not inexpensive(I know - it's relative). South County airport has some mid-size T's, and they are running $575/mo. The small T's (none currently available) are $475/mo.
It's not impossible to find one, but there are waiting lists (not as bad as it used to be).

san jose

Thanks,

It's pretty expensive for anything aviation over here. I've been here for 1.5 years and havn't been able to do any flying. :( . I plan to return to the US in August (maybe) and San Jose is an option.

I need a home for a C-152 and a RV7 project. The 152 could stay outside, but the project still needs a home.

I need an affordable place to live, close to work, close to an airport and close to a University. Am I asking too much? :D

I need an affordable place to live, close to work, close to an airport and close to a University. Am I asking too much? :D

Probably:mad:

Well, you are talking California.

But, a bit more specifics may help. What kind of work, or do you already have a job waiting. What University???

Finding all this in the bay area is not going to be easy, how about surrounding areas???

Lots of folks here would probably like to help you, but you are a bit vague in your details.

Good luck.

Stockton

I pay $180 for a power-less T-hangar in Stockton (KSCK). There's a very short, if any, waiting list.

There are two universities in Stockton, relatively affordable housing, and commutable to the Bay Area for work.

Last edited:
Hangers at RHV

I am at the top of the list for hangers at the RHV. But I have been declining hangers and been waiting for very small hangers to become available.
(costs less).

However I am open to get the bigger hangers if I could find someone to share it with me. RVs dont take much of space.

Ben

I'm in Davis, which is about 100 miles northeast of San Jose. It's close (about as close as you can get) to a university, namely the University of California, Davis. I have a hangar at Yolo County Airport, 2Q3, where I'm building my RV-7. There may be a hangar or two available there. If so, it would be a large tee with power for $300 a month, if rent is the same as mine. There is also University Airport, KEDU, which is on UCD property. Rents are a little lower but there is a waiting list.

And yes, more details please if you'd like some more help.

Livermore is roughly a 4 year wait, and requires a $200 deposit to get your name on the list. It may be less if the battles over the recently approved FBO and new hangars come to an end. I am not holding my breath.

For your 152 I know that there are plenty of tie-downs available in Livermore.

If you find a place like that in CA, PLEASE let me know! ;)

Lots of help. Thanks

Lots of responses. I won't be so vauge.

I may have the option of transfering with the same company. The office would be in the center of San Jose. A university with a good biology department is required for my wife's continuing education (undergrad). I believe one of the many UC campuses would work. I don't want to comute more than an hour each way to/from work (yeah right, ehh).

so specifically... Is it possible to find a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment between Buchanan field and Berkeley for ~$1000-$1200/month and a hanger at Buchana for ~$400 (or less)/month with power and still maintain ~1 hour drive into San jose? (short drive to Berkeley)

Thanks again.
(but don't think about it too much, It is getting a little far off RV building)

SJ Area

If you're in the SJ area, don't forget Hollister Muni, Watsonville, Half Moon Bay, Marina, or even Salinas. Some of those are a good drive from downtown SJ, but availability, monthly cost, and the surrounding areas may be upsides. I was at HAF and Hollister and really enjoyed both.

Jim

Livermore is roughly a 4 year wait, and requires a $200 deposit to get your name on the list. It may be less if the battles over the recently approved FBO and new hangars come to an end. I am not holding my breath.

For your 152 I know that there are plenty of tie-downs available in Livermore.

If you find a place like that in CA, PLEASE let me know! ;)

Like I said, Davis :D

OK, city of Davis isn't cheap (though rents aren't bad), but surrounding areas are more affordable. Oh yeah, I ride my bicycle to work on flat bike paths and country lanes- a really long commute at 4 miles ;) My hangar is 6 miles from home on country roads. $300 a month split between two of us for a large tee hangar (door opens wide enough for 40 foot wingspan). 6000 foot runway, almost no neighbor complaints (there are always a few), open land all around- ideal for homebuilt first flights. Someday that will matter... Tons of open tiedown space, though I have no idea what Yolo County charges.

Back