What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Temperature Sensor

dweyant

Well Known Member
I have either figured out how to break the first law of thermodynamics or have an issue with my oil temperature sensor.

Did first flight yesterday, and the oil temp never got above about 68 degrees. Plane had been in a heated hangar, with an engine heater.

I thought I might have the sensor type wrong, so I changed the type and the temp jumped to 180, a much more believable number. However this morning it is still showing 180...

Setting it back to a thermocouple it drops to 55 degrees (believable), but that is the type that wouldn't get above 68 yesterday...

Any thoughts?

-Dan

I have either figured out how to break the first law of thermodynamics or have an issue with my oil temperature sensor.

Did first flight yesterday, and the oil temp never got above about 68 degrees. Plane had been in a heated hangar, with an engine heater.

I thought I might have the sensor type wrong, so I changed the type and the temp jumped to 180, a much more believable number. However this morning it is still showing 180...

Setting it back to a thermocouple it drops to 55 degrees (believable), but that is the type that wouldn't get above 68 yesterday...

Any thoughts?

-Dan
Dan,

Most G3X/G3X Touch systems used with Lycoming engine aircraft are using the UMA 1B3-2.5R RTD oil temperature sensor which is Garmin part number 494-70004-00.

Have you tried setting the oil temperature sensor type to "UMA 1B3-2.5R"?

Steve

Dan,

Most G3X/G3X Touch systems used with Lycoming engine aircraft are using the UMA 1B3-2.5R RTD oil temperature sensor which is Garmin part number 494-70004-00.

Have you tried setting the oil temperature sensor type to "UMA 1B3-2.5R"?

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I think that was the problem. Switched it to that and put a heat gun on the sensor. Got numbers that seem to be believable.

Spent probably an hour this morning trying to find for sure which sensor type I have. Found lots of pictures of it, but nothing saying it is a UMA 1B3-2.5R.

Unfortunately, I guess this means I haven't figured out how to get around the first law of Thermodynamics....

-Dan

Back