What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Quick Drain leak

Draker

Well Known Member
My Saf-Air oil drain valve seems to have developed a leak. Does anyone with one of these know if it is user-servicable? O-ring?

Attachments

• tempImage69sme1.png
    tempImage69sme1.png
    11 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Easily repaired with 3 o-rings. Assuming this is a Saf-Air P5000 drain valve (from looking at the picture, 1/2 NPT threads), it takes 2x MS28775-011, and 1x MS28775-012. Look here for more info:

Remove one retaining ring to open up the valve....change o-rings...re-assemble.

My Saf-Air oil train valve seems to have developed a leak. Does anyone with one of these know if it is user-servicable? O-ring?
Fumoto!

But, I've come to understand that for the 15yrs that I flew the RV9, every oil change included the whole tool cart for a full FWF inspection. I never took anything "quick" about an oil change. Lives other than my own depended on it. The RV8 just has a plug. It is my personal reminder to get out a wrench.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'll pile on the Fumoto recommendation. I have a Saf-Air on one airplane and Fumoto's on the other two. Never a drip from the Fumoto's but the Saf-Air has always dripped, and has dripped shortly after new o-rings were installed. It's going to be replaced with another Fumoto. I'm tired of the Saf-Air drips.

My quick drain which is same as yours, started leaking after 10 years. Got the replacement O-Rings at Ace Hardware and no more leaks.

Back