What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New RV8 Owner / Optimal Tire Pressure?

JJNeely3

I'm New Here
Although I know the max tire pressure for the Goodyear*Flight*Custom*pn*505C66-5 tires on the RV8 that I just bought, my strong sense is that a noticeably lower pressure is better for smoother/slightly more foregiving landings.

Any recommendations on the optimal psi?

Thanks.

RV8 tire pressures

OK, time to get the popcorn out:D. There are probably as many opinions on optimum tire pressure for the RV8 as there are RV8s. Here is my go: After nearly 2800 flight hours and 2700 landings and much experimentation I found that the best compromise between ease of landing and tire wear is 45 PSI. Also, I found that 1/4 degree toe out reduced the "nervousness" of the aircraft on the ground (as compared to the original 1/4 degree toe in).

I like 45 to 50 psi. I usually run Goodyear Flight Custom III's, 6-ply rated tires. 3280 hours in two different RV-8s, one with the Grove airfoil AL gear and one with the Grove non-airfoil AL gear.

I just set pressure to tire manufacturers recommendation, I find the tire settles to it's own PSI and stays there anyway, till it finally needs more air again. If you have quick access holes through the wheels pants to pump air you can be more precise with pressure before flying. To take wheel pants off/on each time is not worth the 50PSI missing in the tire and truly I can't feel the difference. It's the junky surface of the runways that make the landing and roll out uncomfortable more than the tire pressure.

I just set pressure to tire manufacturers recommendation, I find the tire settles to it's own PSI and stays there anyway, till it finally needs more air again. If you have quick access holes through the wheels pants to pump air you can be more precise with pressure before flying. To take wheel pants off/on each time is not worth the 50PSI missing in the tire and truly I can't feel the difference. It's the junky surface of the runways that make the landing and roll out uncomfortable more than the tire pressure.

tire manufacturers do not set recommended PSI. That is always a function of the designer of the vehicle that the tires go on. Tire manufacturer DOES provide both a max PSI for each tire, as well as details stating the minimum pressure required for specific weight loads on any given tire. The recommended or optimal setting between those values is set by the vehicle maker or user, based upon loaded weight, testing and desired traits.

Tires DO NOT settle to their "own PSI." Yes, they sometimes only leak down to a certain level, depending upon the specifics of the leak source, but please do not confuse this as settling into its desired state, as it is a LEAK. This will leave you with a flat some day and possibly a scary landing.

Larry

Last edited:
I've always used Condor tires and Michelin Air Stops. 50 psi has done well for the 18 years I've been flying the -8.

Chris

Back