What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New ICAO requirement; you'll need a (replacement) license for English Proficiency

New license to include ICAO English Proficiency endorsement

I'm just off the phone with the FAA about this (and the broken link on the page).

If you plan to fly your plane out of the country, you need to get your license replaced with one that has the new English Proficiency endorsement. It'll cost you $2, and you can do so by mail or on the FAA Airmen website :D Rosie

NASCAR English

English Proficiency? It is hard enough to understand half the traffic that gets rattled off as it is, and if there is an accent involved... I'm like "say, whuuut?" Get some of these foreign pilots in the mix, with various Eastern and Asian accents... and I have no clue what they are saying. :eek:

I think that all foreign pilots need to attend NESL (NASCAR English as a Second Language) training. Get some good ole southern bubbas in there. Help them get a good accent that we CAN understand! ;)

SO... lets recommend to the FAA an NESL endorsement!

DJ

So when are you....

all going to start?

I thought you all spoke "American"...Don't sound like English to me...:D

Frank...EX-pat Brit!

English v American

"England and America are two countries divided by a common language." George Bernard Shaw :)

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

English Proficiency? It is hard enough to understand half the traffic that gets rattled off as it is, and if there is an accent involved... I'm like "say, whuuut?" Get some of these foreign pilots in the mix, with various Eastern and Asian accents... and I have no clue what they are saying. :eek:

I think that all foreign pilots need to attend NESL (NASCAR English as a Second Language) training. Get some good ole southern bubbas in there. Help them get a good accent that we CAN understand! ;)

SO... lets recommend to the FAA an NESL endorsement!

DJ

And hence, the english language proficiency requirement. :)

Airman Certificate Replacement Online

I just tried to update my certificates on the FAA site. It would only accept the update for the Flight Engineer ticket. It said my ATP must be updated in writing, not on line.

Mitch Garner
RV-4 flying

You're not alone.

We've had the same situation on this side of the pond too.
Only difference is that, remarkably, our CAA didn't charge for issuing a new piece of paper with section XIII filled in.

But I've only been credited with level 4 (operational proficiency) so will have to demonstrate my level 6 within 3 years to an examiner (that gives lifetime approval).

I probably need to start practising on the pluperfect of irregular verbs in preparation.

The deadline to request your new certificate has been extended to March 2009. I just completed my mine.

I talked to Transport Canada yesterday on this. They said they can't enforce it yet as it didn't make it into the latest CARS (regs) printing in time. They remain low key in the future but said they CAN enforce it in the future. ICAO brought it on and maybe it is a good thing, with many foreign students training here. I know I can't understand what some of them are saying and evidently they can't understand the controllers either.:eek:

Basically, if you are traveling cross border, might as well get it to avoid hassle. TC will send you a new license with the endorsement at no charge once they look up your records- assuming you can speak English or pass the language test..

Back