What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New engine design?

Pretty. Might sneak one under the cowl in place of my IO-320 if the weight is to be believed (320 lbs) - but it looks like it's water cooled, so I'm guessing it's more like 450lbs fully installed. In the latter case, just get the GearDrives Chevy...

Only time will tell if it is for real, or another Innodyne.

I think Superior had the right idea. Take a proven design and improve it further. Now that they are gone , Lyco will probably get lazy again. And pricey. At least Adept is trying. My 2 cents, but the money is in a good improved clone.A company that has the ingenuity to build a engine like Adept should have gone the clone route. They work. It has been proved over and over that geared motors are just not as succesfull a package as a Lyco or equivalent. Just my opinion.

Jerry.
I have allways been sceptical against the old fashion Lycoming, and my choice for engine was therefore easy when I purchased my RV-7A QB kit last summer.
An Subaru Eggenfellner H6 was THE engine.
Unfortunately none off the problems of the engine have ever been brought up in public, and now I have a over-weight engine with lack of cooling capacity.
So my advice - be sure to double-double check, that the engine actually do work in your aircraft.
John

Jerry.
I have allways been sceptical against the old fashion Lycoming, and my choice for engine was therefore easy when I purchased my RV-7A QB kit last summer.
An Subaru Eggenfellner H6 was THE engine.
Unfortunately none off the problems of the engine have ever been brought up in public, and now I have a over-weight engine with lack of cooling capacity.
So my advice - be sure to double-double check, that the engine actually do work in your aircraft.
John

Yes, when Egg first started with the 2.5 I was a customer, but business relationship didn't work out so ended up with a Superior IO-360 which I love and have never looked back.

The Adept folks appear to have really deep pockets with the S. African Gov't owning 25% and a ground up design. Also interesting that they chose a 120 degree angle between cyl banks as opposed to 90 degree V. One of these days a new design might actually work. Emphasize might.

Jerry

Back