What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N73 Fuquay Angier airport North Carolina

NYTOM

Well Known Member
Is Fuquay Angier N78 an active airport? Going down to look at property very close by and if active it would have a big influence on our decision. Ideally it would have a RV/ experimental presence and the kind of place where the coffee pot is always warm and there's a perpetual group of pilots and airport flies sitting around telling lies about flying adventures. Found a super EAA chapter a few miles north in Apex that I 'd like to join. Does any have any knowledge of this airport?

Last edited:
I have a Russian friend who is based at 5W5 I'll ask him Tom. You are talking about 78NC right? N73 is Red Lion, NJ.

Yeah I think you mean 78NC. It's a great old-time grass strip airport that has a bunch of tailwheel airplanes, along with the usual mix. There are one or two RVs still there I think. Like most grass strip airports, it's fairly sleepy, but does have a "bullshack" for the few airport bums that like to sit around, drink coffee and BS. Raleigh Exec (TTA) is just a few miles away and has a few RVs. Sounds like you already know about Cox Field (NC81) close by, which is a real treasure of a place. There's an RV-8 there, and another nearby RV-7 that get together and fly formation with a few CJ and Yak guys at Raleigh Exec. I've got a Pitts at TTA, and IMO this a great area to keep an airplane and fly.

The airfield at Fuquay is still active. There are at least 7 RV's flying at KTTA. The EAA Chapter 1114 meets at Cox Field on tha 3rd Saturday each month: 8am breakfast, 9:30 am program, 150+ active members, 100+ show up for breakfast. Several RV-8s and several RV-10s as well as other various experimental types are under construction by chapter members.

78Nc

I am based at Fuquay- Angier 78 NC. I have a RV-6, there is a RV 9 and a RV 8 also there. You are welcome to stop in an visit and look around the area. Give me a call at 919 868 9230 if I can help in any way. Harold Johnson

Any of you old timers remember the inclined dog leg Holly Springs field?

I looked for it recently and I assume it is dead and gone.

Any of you old timers remember the inclined dog leg Holly Springs field?

I looked for it recently and I assume it is dead and gone.

Are you talking about Aerosport? Don't know of any other old strips that were in Holly Springs. Sadly, about all that's left is the concrete pad where the shop was, visible in the pic below as the small white square around halfway down the runway on the NE side. My dad kept a plane there '87-'88, and was the only active airplane on the field by then. Dick Fehlner was still around then, and always working in the shop on something. He passed away a few years later, and the property was sold to developers. I have very fond memories of that place. As you may know, several early homebuilt designs came out of that airport - Woody Pusher, Aerosport Scamp and Quail, by Harris Woods. I just ran across this page -

http://www.facebook.com/flyaerosport/timeline

zyio03.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, that's it. I had forgotten exactly where it was located. Your image helped. The runway was not straight. It had a hockey stick kink in it, plus that part went uphill towards Avent Ferry Rd.

My dad flew our Mooney in there in the mid '70s. On departure, he taxied to the tip of the bent part turned around and took off. We were airborne before the bend so he had to bank to stay aligned with the runway (which reminds me that it was bent, downhill, AND narrow :D ) Good fun.

This is going to be good.

Thanks for all the replies. Your right Vald, I screwed up. It is N78.
I can't wait to move. I can't believe there's so many RV's down there
Really looking forward to joining 1114 Noel. 100+ members for a meeting. Unbelievable! We're lucky to get 10 members up here and I was actually asked by a member what a RV was. Got your number Mr.Johnson and thanks for the info. I hope the house across the street from your airport is something special because the wife would rather build new. We have a bunch of ground to cover but hope to be planted permenently by the end of summer. I'm moving most of my family with me and my daughter and son-n-law are researching schools for the G kids. That will weigh heavily on the location. As some of you may know once you become a Grampa your opinion is worthless. 2015 is going to be a exciting for this RV'er.:D

Back